Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its time for a new set of front rotors and pads. ( I eat these things up 4th set in 50k lol) All 4 of the holes in the spindles are stripped (has 4 of the repair bolts). I now have some time to repair these holes. I am curious if I could use a helicoil to repair the threads? Really hoping I don't need to purchase new spindles. Anyone know off hand what the threads are? I am going to try and find new OE bolts from the dealer tomorrow.

Any help is a appreciated

Thanks Brad.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Thread on bolts is 7/16-20

Aware of at least one other who has repaired with helicoil or some other thread repair method--OK for now. Ultimate fix is replacement of knuckles.

Replacement bolts (for 9C1) - longer than "standard" bolts
18020239 - BOLT, caliper, OE, JA9 on 9C1, JM4 on 1A2 and 9C6 vehicles (discontinued, remaining OE stock held by VPI )
18034582 - BOLT, caliper, ACD Durastop - contains 2 bolts in package

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thread on bolts is 7/16-20

Aware of at least one other who has repaired with helicoil or some other thread repair method--OK for now. Ultimate fix is replacement of knuckles.

Replacement bolts (for 9C1) - longer than "standard" bolts
18020239 - BOLT, caliper, OE, JA9 on 9C1, JM4 on 1A2 and 9C6 vehicles (discontinued, remaining OE stock held by VPI )
18034582 - BOLT, caliper, ACD Durastop - contains 2 bolts in package
Yup, had the same problem and heli coil was not recommended. I just swapped out to new knuckles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can get replacement knuckles from a salvage yard for $15 - 20 each.

Pat

So, its time for a new set of front rotors and pads. ( I eat these things up 4th set in 50k lol) All 4 of the holes in the spindles are stripped (has 4 of the repair bolts). I now have some time to repair these holes. I am curious if I could use a helicoil to repair the threads? Really hoping I don't need to purchase new spindles. Anyone know off hand what the threads are? I am going to try and find new OE bolts from the dealer tomorrow.

Any help is a appreciated

Thanks Brad.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
You can get replacement knuckles from a salvage yard for $15 - 20 each.
No argument, Pat....at the same time, that $30 - $40 can buy a boat-load of someone else's problems on these fundamental/critical suspension components that take a direct beating in use--so, unless there is no viable option to doing so, I'll go for new knuckles for about $110 per pair delivered to my door (example - GM Parts Direct price for PN 18021052 & 18021053--these are 9/16" spec), rather than 15+ year old parts with unknown history, wear, corrosion, or other issues that may only lead to more grief for an unsuspecting "re-user".

My comment about knowing someone who HAD repaired a knuckle was not approval of that approach--with brakes, I would never take that approach nor would I recommend it to anyone else. Granted, the options make it tempting, and what I would do won't dictate what someone else chooses to, whether due to financial or other reasons. I should have stated that in my first response....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My comment about knowing someone who HAD repaired a knuckle was not approval of that approach--with brakes, I would never take that approach nor would I recommend it to anyone else. Granted, the options make it tempting, and what I would do won't dictate what someone else chooses to, whether due to financial or other reasons. I should have stated that in my first response....
Well said. I spent about $100 total new from GM Parts Direct for the pair a few months ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts