Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 383 AI head and cam car to the track for the first time since i put it together and found that my fuel system cant handle it. So I was wondering what are you guys running for fuel systems? Its a N/A car 383 AI heads cam 58mm tb 42# injectors with aeromotive regulator with factory pump and inline booster pump. I want to get the car to the track again in the next 2 weeks so any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Stock fuel pressure regulator with the Walbro 255LB pump.

Google it ;) .

KW

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya was thinking the racetronix set up.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Stock fuel pressure regulator with the Walbro 255LB pump.

Google it ;) .

KW
Same here. 30# will work but 42# are safer. What kind of issues are you running into?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I've got the Racetronix setup with the Walbro 255 pump and stock FP regulator and SVO green top 42# injectors. It feeds my 385 LT1 with Lloyd Elliot worked Trickflow heads/ LE cam and a 150-shot of N2O with no problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is dying out on the top of 2nd and all of third and wont run over 5500 in 3rd. Still went a 12.3 at 105 but couldnt do any more tunning because of it leaning out so bad that it sounded like it was on a rev limiter.
Same here. 30# will work but 42# are safer. What kind of issues are you running into?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sounds like the old fuel pump starvation trick. With stock fuel tanks you have to keep it at least 3/4 full. Otherwise the fuel gets away from the pump (pick-up) and starves the engine. I'd try that first :) And I disagree with the " #30's will work, but #42's are safer" jibberish!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you might of hit it on the head the car had 1/4 tank I thought about it when I was there but the only fuel I had on hand was cam 2 and didnt want to run that.I might still just put the racetronix set up in for piece of mind and get that booster pump off of there. I am plaining on going back in two weeks this time with 3/4 tank and a new pump and see what we can do.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Mike is absolutely right, and 1/4 tank is hardly enough to keep a bolt-ons car from emptying the sump. IMHO, you're not going to be able run with less than 1/2 fill on a stock tank!

I'd stick with the 30's unless you know for a fact that they're not able to keep up.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
30 LB vs 42 LB is a moot point for the OP......since he already has 42 LB injectors.

.....Its a N/A car 383 AI heads cam 58mm tb 42# injectors.....
KW

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is my first b body so I am still finding out the little things. Like the 1/2 tank thing.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I disagree with the stock tank needing to be 3/4 full becuz i have a stock fuel tank still and im a stroker with a 150 **** and i run with my tank almost butt empty. Been doing it for at least 5 years now an havent had a problem. While im spraying it and i run mid 10's consistently.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I disagree with the stock tank needing to be 3/4 full becuz i have a stock fuel tank still and im a stroker with a 150 **** and i run with my tank almost butt empty. Been doing it for at least 5 years now an havent had a problem. While im spraying it and i run mid 10's consistently.
That is the craziest statement I've seen on fuel supply ever! I'm serious, I've never heard of anyone able to do that. Is your fuel gauge even close to correct? Are you sure somebody didn't modify your tank? From my own experience, stock motor with 150 shot, 1.45 60', 11.3x ET, demanded 3/4 indicated on gauge to make a 1/4 mile pass with the stock tank.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
First off Alex, you run in the HIGH ten's. Pick up 3 more tenths and you'll run mid-tens.:) Second, you can disagree all you want, but the fact is that there really is an issue with fuel starvation with the stock tank and not enough fuel as can be testified by about 100 Impala SS owners. We're trying to help this guy, not confuse him further.

·
Registered
743 Posts
First off Alex, you run in the HIGH ten's. Pick up 3 more tenths and you'll run mid-tens.:) Second, you can disagree all you want, but the fact is that there really is an issue with fuel starvation with the stock tank and not enough fuel as can be testified by about 100 Impala SS owners. We're trying to help this guy, not confuse him further.
I had this problem at the LTX shootout. Thanks to Mike and Pat and Norm for giving me fuel to add to the tank and bringing it to 3/4 got me to the finals in my class. So i have experienced this first hand. Not a problem anymore with the addition of one of the Mike Harris custom tank.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I always run with a minimum of 3/4 tank. My first stroker "tinkled" a little with 1/2 tank.:) My current setup, which makes a little more power, always goes with near full tank. I have an adjustable FPR, and Walbro 340 pump.

I've never had any starvation issues, and I use those awful 30lb. red tops.:D

I wouldn't think of running a near empty tank, and spraying, but then, I don't know much about that stuff.:p

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
When I first started racing racing my SS, I'd race as light as possible......including running with 1/4- tank of gas. I always thought I an issue of having a bad build with the engine falling flat where it should've excelled.......above 5K RPMs (396 w/HOT cam).

A veteran racer told me one evening at the track that my fuel level was WAY too low. I left the track.....went to a local gas station.....added enough fuel to get to about 3/4 tank......went back to the track and had three more runs. All three runs I was still pulling on the top end of the track and all three runs had bettered my previos best run.

I'm betting that if Alex is running hi-10's near empty, he'd run mid-10's with a 'fuller' tank.

JMHO.

KW

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Alex

on a very low tank when you launch...all if not most of the gas will sweep to the back of the tank and as you continue down the 1/4mi it will stay towards the rear of the tank making it vey difficult for any gas to get around the FU baffle around the fuel PU.

As suggested run with more gas.

My $02 if you had a FP gauge while doing your near empty tank runs...you would shiat watching it bounce...or sink

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just had this problem 2 weeks ago! I was running my new 6l90e setup and was hitting a brick wall just above 5k rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I was only able to run a best of 12.56 @ 107 mph with a 1.84 60ft. I was able to get my 60ft down to 1.75 and ran a 12.68??? It didn't have the same top end pull it had last year. Now keep in mind last year with my T56 on street tires I ran 13.1 @114.33 with a 2.4 60ft. Later I drove home from the track and stopped at Mickey Dees and my car died in the drive through. It ended up being my Walbro fuel pump that I installed 2 years ago (didn't upgrade the wiring). With all that said I was only running 1/4 tank of gas at the track as well and this may of contributed to burning up the pump.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......It didn't have the same top end pull it had last year. Now keep in mind last year with my T56 on street tires I ran 13.1 @114.33 with a 2.4 60ft.......
Your top-end speed was so high becuase you were spinning the hell out of your tires.....as evidenced by your very poor 60 ft time ;) .....

107 mph @ 107 and change ain't so bad for a full weight B-body.......

KW

1 - 20 of 22 Posts