Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever thought of putting some kind of bar (maybe bars) in the engine compartment to reduce flex? Many newer cars have them and my engine compartment is cavernous and could easily accept a bar - wether mounted from fender to fender or two bars from fender to somewhere else. Has anyone done this to a b-body? Does it need this or is this a waste of time - why do most newer cars seems to have them?

I installed the buick frame brace and loved the result - I wonder if there are any other braces out there or if another buick fram brace could be mounted fender to fender and if it woult do any good.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe someone knows more but I do remember reading on this forum that b-bodies don't need them because they utilize a full-frame chasis. I think it would only be good for looks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOTCHKIS makes a brace. I dont think it is needed in anyway. Most newer cars have a strut tower brace becasue ALL new cars (Except for ClownVics Ect and Pickups/Some SUVS) have Uni-body frame construction.

Uni-bodies Usally have more flex in the chassis Thus needing a Strut tower brace or even SUB-Frame Connectors (ie. the F-Car) Most strut tower braces(From the factory) are Realy small in size and I doubt they do much in joining the left and right side tower anyway.

Mouning a bar to to Fender in a body on frame car like the B-body really wouldent do much since the fender isnt a strong point in the cars Chassis strength.

But, In a Uni-body car every panel is a critical part of the whole vehicle so A Strut bar helps out in the flexing.

If you want to make your car stiffer you could install different body bushings, X-brace the Chassis , Or build a custom chassis! A roll cage may help some.

The buick brace is good Becasue it joins the rear of the Chassis together. Any crossmember that joing the right side to the left side Strengthens the chassis considerably more. Also Thicker gauge chassis rails help too.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Vandal835 ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And if you have a wagon, it is already fully boxed. Plus wagons look good with a 7000 pound rear frame brace. (Class IV Draw-Tite Hitch) ;)

BTW, for you wagon guys with the 5.7 TBI engines, set them up as torque monsters. Go with an RV cam and 3.73 or 4.10 gears and pull some stumps. Show off what you've got. The LT1 certainly does not have the maintenance edge on you. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 305 TBI. What can I do to that? Its slow as hell. The engine is really worth doing any thing. Its preety worn for 94,000 miles. If I can find a L05 its going in there.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Vandal835 ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.