Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks...any suggestions w/b greatly appreciated.

94 SS, 140k well maintained miles. Between 62-65 or so on the highway the car starts
to studder - slight bumping like the converter coming off and on again. Tapped the brake
while happening and no change.

Been reading a number of other posts on the board and went for the EGR first, no
change then swapped the EGR solenoid, no change. Bot a recycled MAF from a RM
and installed that, again no change. Swapped out the PCV value and a couple of
questionable vacuum hoses - same deal, no change.

Local mechanic says the fuel pressure and filter and fine then ran a fuel injector cleaner
and now suggests I change the wires.

No one around here has an OBD I reader so I grounded two terminals on the plug
and got no check engine light at all - only the fans starting, so I'm flying blind.

I'm more of a parts replacer than troubleshooter - unless its really obvious -
and any help or direction w/b greatly appreciated, tkx.

Hugh

·
Registered
932 Posts
check your coil wire to the opti. caused my 96 to sputter at WOT and about 50 mph. the coil end was all corroded and powdery. Replaced said wire and symptom went away...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sounds to me like the lockup feature on the TC is giving up the goat. I have the same situation with my wagon. I bumped up the line pressure on the tranny and it helped quit a bit but it's only a band-aid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Iggy, thanks for the reply. I looked at my coil wire and it was as you mentioned, cleaned the post and replaced the wire w/o success. Now I'm trying to change the remaining plug wires, what a b!%&# of a job.

Freedog, I thought same initially so I was tapping the brake lightly while it was happening (to kick off the converter) w/o success. I'm hoping like heck its not the tranny.

I'll post if I ever get this solved to share.

Tkx...Hugh

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
So try running to the problem speed in 3rd. At least that would eliminate a tire-wheel-shock or other harmonic induced issue.

But it does sound like a chuggle issue TTTT. I'm in this thread for your eventual prognosis.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Try adding some Lubegard Shudderfixx to the trans fluid. If it is TC shudder, it will fix the symptoms instantly and will buy you some time before the trans rebuild that will eventually be needed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you lightly touch the gas does it go away? Is it more prone to happen when on a slight grade? If either of the above it could be running lean.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
If the vacuum is under 21 inches

do a MotorVac..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts