Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Sub Box Templet

738 views 26 replies 0 participants last post by  jflow 
G
#1 ·
I am looking for a cutting templete for a sub box for a Caprice. I been looking for a idea for a custom enclosure for 2 kickers sub boxes. As you can see in my cardomain that I have a lottle system however i am looking for a cleaner look. I like the subs in the side walls, so I can keep my spare. However i dont need the spareif you have any ideas that would require me to take out the spare.
Thanks.

G
#7 ·
i wouldn't suggest that it will sound much better the way it has been designed if you are looking for a stealth look you could prolly do a false wall over or if worried about puncturing the subs place grille on them

G
#8 ·
there is a pre-fab box that will fit and looks like that one. it is a box for a camaro. the camaro has a drop down hatch area, this box fits very well, I had one in my caprice. I just switched to a mini spare to save room.

G
#9 ·
That box actually has about 2 cubes on each side, not including the ports, so be kinda careful, some subs require less air than these boxes give and some require more air than these boxes allow. I wouldnt put the sugs on the 7.5 in side, who has subs that small anyways, but the top is doable, if you double the thickness of the mounting face... which would make your box have a volume of3.8 cubes using 3/4 mdf and double on the face.

Keep in mind, how much air you need depends on the sub, so check ya data sheet first, then design a box, check it 3 times and then start building.

G
#10 ·
I have done 3 different boxes just like you said. Space is very hard to come by in the side panels so choose your subs carefully. I believe if you search on my member number in the car audio section you should be able to find some pictures. My first box is shown on my website and it is very outdated, but at the bottom of the page you can download the plans to build them. Just click on the link below and go to the Sub Box area.
http://home1.gte.net/bristra4/index.htm
Let me know if you have any more questions,
TOM B

G
#11 ·

Here is a 1.3 Cu ft, ported, 12" bass guitar cab I built nearly a decade ago, and use professionally on a regular basis.

I've also used it as a sub, in a pinch, for "tail-gate" parties. Works great for that as well...

The port can be adjusted in size, or completely closed. The box freq is about 75Hz with the larger port, and about 53Hz w/the smaller port, 52Hz with a touch of EQ. Though smoother and producing lower notes without a port, the sealed cab isn't as loud (efficient) at the frequencies needed for bass in a car.

I have found, however, that the size and shape of a ported cabinet dosen't matter as much as the cubic feet of air space in the cabinet, and the tuning of the port(s). It can literally be made to fit almost anywhere.

Personally, I prefer the smoother sealed cabinets (except they require more power). But for a specific range of bass frequencies, a ported cab is easier to build and tune.

[edit: BTW, nice sedan sub boxes, Tom!!]

G
#18 ·
could you measure the clearance from the the top of the sub box to the rear deck i have some pretty beefy 6x9's going in. and also could you get me some dimensions of those hinge covers?

how much did materials cost?

G
#24 ·
Originally posted by ShowSS12:
Here is an idea that I was going to do. It dose take up the space where the Spare tire goes. There is a thread here about it do a search.
thats how mine looks. flush from top to bottom, with a diamond shaped port in the middle for the Diamond Audio 12s....and still have room for bags and junk. i'm happy with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.