Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best 12" dual voice coil subwoofer that money can buy? I have a guy making two enclosures, that I am going to fit inside the rear trunk quater panels. Any recomendations?

UCB

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Define "best". What do you want from these subs? Sound quality or all-out heavy bass?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer SVCs myself.... I have been REALLY happy with MTX stuff... never blown one yet and I have done some really stupid stuff with them

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my Memphis HP 's, unfortunatly they dont produce them anymore and only came out with a better HPO!!! :D :eek:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DD AUDIO!
9515 or 9917
http://www.ddaudio.com/

All the subs are hand made and have a very good warranty and customer service from what I hear.
Best amp

PHD3 shredder. or the new DD amplifier.

I hope you have ALOT of batteries and a high amp alternator though or you will be walking home.

And some ear plugs and a securly attached window...

>>>And on a side note, While you can't really say anything is the "BEST" when it comes to audio I think that this stuff is pretty damn close to the best. Just my .02<<<<

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Dual will give you deeper more robust bass, and the ability to drain alot more power into it. The DVC wont more as much air as 2 SVC but it will be louder and produce more db. I have ran MTX, JL, and ADS i have a 12 ADS that i loves but i only have one and i wanted to make a custom box but decided not to do any sick system in my SS. I have heard personally JL, Orion, and ADS DVC subs and for our big cars i would suggest JL w3's for boom boom base, W6's for boom boom with cleaner sound, which isn't needed unless the sub is sitting next to you. or the ADS which is a superb sound Q sub IMO, its and older version when ADS made better products. If you want some used subs and AMPs e-mail me...i have my SPL system waiting for a good home. I could hook you up with a sub, amp and capacitor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd suggest sonic fx subs. they have a d series and a q series, q being the better one. very good product, i know the guy who makes em and he's awesome to anwser any questions you have. his name is doug and his website is Sonic FX he is also coming out with a line of amps shortly aswell.

d series

q series

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JL Audio 12W3

I think "Image Dynamics" make a DVC 12 inch sub as well.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DD AUDIO! There is NOTHING better than the subs these guys make. As said before, they are all hand made. The 15" (9515) has a 300 oz magnet :eek: My brother has one in his Civic with a 4 cubic foot box. It is powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp pumping out a max of 2000 watts. The installers said that it is the loudest 15" they have ever heard...at close to full volume they were losing consciousness. THESE SUBS ARE SERIOUS. If you are looking for 12s, put 2 of the 9512s in. You will be blown away. They are $560 each, factory direct.

Apart from that, Phoenix Audio sells the Titanium Elite 12D. This sub is an absolute beast. It will set your back $900 though. I believe that this is the best 12" sub money can buy. Pair them up with 2 PG Titanium Elite 1200.1 amps, and you will probably knock down your house if you are a block away.

Go with one of these two choices and you won't be disappointed.

Here is a picture of the 9515 installed in my brother's car:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was waiting for someone to chime in and agree.

On the home page you can see that a 161 was done with only 1 10" :eek:

I know a guy hitting 158 and he has a walled out truck with 12 12"s. 8 orion high current amps just to give you an idea of what these things are capable of.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My fault, 2 Kicker Comp VR 15'S,run in series with one Rockford Fosgate Power 750. :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 JL Audio 12W7's

your choice of amps (one per sub):
JL Audio 1000/1
MTX 81000D
Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200.1 or 800.1

one choice for box: PORTED to JL specs

be prepared to spend some $$$ for the equipment (hearing aides not included)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey i like the kicker comp vr's there priced very nice((2 for 150.00 ish)) but if money is not a problem the i would go with JL audio's W7's which are very good subs..but memphis has come out with a new sub,((forgot the name)) my teacher has two and he((with a 1500 watt class d amp from memphis))has hit 163.2DB :eek: ..hope this helps..mike,

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My JL13W7's are great. 52 lbs apiece but with a $1000 retail. :eek: I got mine for $550 new through a friend at a store. :D There is a discussion under Monster Subs. Or check out web page

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarToySS:
2 JL Audio 12W7's

your choice of amps (one per sub):
JL Audio 1000/1
MTX 81000D
Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200.1 or 800.1

one choice for box: PORTED to JL specs

be prepared to spend some $$$ for the equipment (hearing aides not included)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the MTX 81000d, Go with the JLaudio 1000/1 i think one of the best amps on the market. I was not WOWed by the 81000d, but liked it better than fosgate.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have 4 alpine type r 1221d's which are the 2 ohm subwoofer series, they sound awesome in my custom made box, which has 4 port holes thru the rear deck and put it this way i cant crank it because the fear of blowing out the rear window.! alpines will run you about 180 for 2. MY WEBPAGE

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Under Cover Brother,

I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" SVC (single voice coil). they sound pretty good in a prefab box. I could get more out of them w/ the proper box, but I needed quick exit for the autocross days.

On the DVC (dual voice coil) subject, there really isn't an advantage to a DVC over a SVC, or vice versa. It only gives you more flexibilty. I have yet to see proof were a DVC sub will outperform 2-SVC subs from the same brand line.

It really depends on the amplifier you are going to run, and its limits on load (4ohm vs. 2ohm vs. 1ohm).

You need to decide if you want clean, tight bass, or loud rumbly-dumbly-boomy bass. I haven't seen one that can do both great.

Good luck w/ the search...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts