Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here found a solution to the auto leveling suspension.

a few years ago I changed the stock auto leveling shocks for the munroe kit I believe p/n ma717

but the problem is they don't hold air for more than 24 hours and this is my workhorse I haul stuff with it and without air in the shocks I scrape the ground going into my driveway.

In case you are wondering the auto leveling part is no longer working and I have to go the manual route to get air into the shocks.

I'm tired of air suspension has someone found a combination of springs and shocks that are good for loading up the car

I realize most people want to lower their car but any help would be appreciated

James

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look at the Airlift 1000 airbags from Summit Racing. They add 1000 lbs of extra lift. They install inside the spring. Load assisting shocks are NOT the way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some air lift 1000's( $80 a pair), they are a cylinders you put inside your springs, and they help hold things up. Now you do have to manually fill them, unless you get a controler kit. But they run on a much lower PSI than air shocks. They are a max of 35 PSI. When I was hauling stuff, I would leave them at around 20 PSI, and the suspension would not drop too far.

Theres all so a shock that has a coil over setup on it, from monroe. For the severe service shocks, I think they were like 70 bux each.

Then you have the moog cargo springs, I think PN is 507's... that some use to raise the back a lil bit, and make it siffer.

I personally HATE the air suspension, and was ripping it off every car that ever had it(5 cars now), and I really like the air lifts. They seam to hold air forever! My buddy had air lifts on his crown vic(didn't know he did), had the car for 5 years, never put air in them, and when I checked them one day, they had 10 PSI, which is enough to raise the back of most cars about 1-2".... good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 9C1 Newbee:
Look at the Airlift 1000 airbags from Summit Racing. They add 1000 lbs of extra lift. They install inside the spring. Load assisting shocks are NOT the way to go.
I agree, the load shocks seam to put to much strain on the mounts, and IIRC, one guy took the normal springs all the way out, and his car still sat higher than stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put brand new 9C1 rear springs and Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks in the rear of my Fleetwood to replace the air suspension.

It can take a trunk full of luggage and 5 passengers with ease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.