Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Depends on the amp, but if you're deadset on just running one, get a 2 ohm one or a dual voice coil 4 ohm which you can wire to 2 ohms to get the max power out of your amp. If you think you might want some growing room, go 4 ohms and add a second sub later. Also what size are you going with? If you're going with a 15" you'll probably be fine with 1 sub, but we do have large trunks if it's 12's or 10's you'll probably wish you got two.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan is to go with one 15" sub for the first stage of my system I was thinking about a Alpine Type S.

Right now I have a Basic Alpine deck that only has one set of Sub RCA's & some Kicker 6-1/2" & Kicker 6X9's running on deck power. I would like to add some bass to round out the system without drowning out the highs.

One sub, one amp, a deck, & 4 speakers is all I need for now because I want to build the rest of the car (paint,interior, rims, ect.ect.) When its time to upgrade the audio again I will replace everything & start from scratch but for now I want to keep things Low wattage untill I can do the BIG 3 upgrade & High Quality Sound Damping Material

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I've ran 3 different sub amps, 300, 500 and 800 watt with no issues and everything stock. I later did upgraded battery cables but I'd think if you stay under 1000 watts everything should be fine.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Do you currently have an amp for the sub?

if not...

I would personally Get a Mono (Single channel) amp that is 2 ohm stable (D class 1000 watt, what is the 15" alpine rated for?); and get a 2 ohm 15" sub.

Then when you change to (2) subs, get two 4 ohm subs, and wire them in series showing the amp a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you currently have an amp for the sub?

if not...

I would personally Get a Mono (Single channel) amp that is 2 ohm stable (D class 1000 watt, what is the 15" alpine rated for?); and get a 2 ohm 15" sub.

Then when you change to (2) subs, get two 4 ohm subs, and wire them in series showing the amp a 2 ohm load.

I dont have a Amp yet I was gonna order one after I get my sub & here are the subs I was looking at

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45527_Alpine-SWS-15D4.html

or

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45528_Alpine-SWS-15D2.html

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Check out this for wiring diagrams.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QRmuXslaPuD/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Alpine SWS-15D4
power handling: 150-500 watts RMS (250 watts per coil)
peak power: 1,500 watts
frequency response: 24-200 Hz
dual 4-ohm voice coils
[email protected] with mono 2 ohm amp

Alpine SWS-15D2
dual 2-ohm voice coils
[email protected] with mono 4 ohm amp

Your eventual upgrade?
2 single Voice Coil (SVC) @ 4 ohms with mono 2 ohm amp.

I'd probably amp it with something like this:

Or play nice with it and over power it with this: (until you get better dual subs)
Of course I wouldn't be going Alpine then, so I wouldn't pick alpine as the amp brand. (Myself)

If it were me I'd do a single 12 JLW6:
power range: 150-600 watts RMS
peak power handling: 1,200 watts
frequency response: 20-200 Hz

With this amp:

Bass Processor:

and a capacitor:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out this for wiring diagrams.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QRmuXslaPuD/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Alpine SWS-15D4
dual 4-ohm voice coils
[email protected] with mono 2 ohm amp

Alpine SWS-15D2
dual 2-ohm voice coils
[email protected] with mono 4 ohm amp

Your eventual upgrade?
2 single Voice Coil (SVC) @ 4 ohms with mono 2 ohm amp.

I'd probably amp it with something like this:

Or play nice with it and over power it with this: (until you get better dual subs)
Of course I wouldn't be going Alpine then, so I wouldn't pick alpine as the amp brand. (Myself)

If it were me I'd do a single 12 JLW6:
power range: 150-600 watts RMS
peak power handling: 1,200 watts
frequency response: 20-200 Hz

With this amp:

Bass Processor:

and a capacitor:
Thanks 4 the info I like JL Audio Ive had them in the past in a few cars but when its time to upgrade from this first system I think I wanna try DC Audio or PSI subs but for now I just wanna keep it simple & do one 15" subs to bring out the 4 kicker speakers that running off deck power thats in there now that way I have a small system with just a little bass to listen to now while I save up for the Big System

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My plan is to go with one 15" sub for the first stage of my system I was thinking about a Alpine Type S.

Right now I have a Basic Alpine deck that only has one set of Sub RCA's & some Kicker 6-1/2" & Kicker 6X9's running on deck power. I would like to add some bass to round out the system without drowning out the highs.

One sub, one amp, a deck, & 4 speakers is all I need for now because I want to build the rest of the car (paint,interior, rims, ect.ect.) When its time to upgrade the audio again I will replace everything & start from scratch but for now I want to keep things Low wattage untill I can do the BIG 3 upgrade & High Quality Sound Damping Material
How do you like your Kicker 6X9s and 6.5s? I recently added two 10" Kicker Comps in the trunk and thinking bout 6.5 componets up front and maybe 4 6x9s in the rear deck, all Kicker.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you like your Kicker 6X9s and 6.5s? I recently added two 10" Kicker Comps in the trunk and thinking bout 6.5 componets up front and maybe 4 6x9s in the rear deck, all Kicker.
I like them they were 100% better than the stock speakers that were in there (here are some vids to show where Im at now with my system)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts