Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a 12" alpine type R hooked up to a soundstream trx700d at 2 ohms (520 watts). when i have the volume at lower levels the sub hits nice, clean and hard. when i increase the volume the sub seems to get quieter. i have the gain set all the way up and i think this could be the problem. any suggestions??? BTW the sub is wired inside the box and wired to the amp with monster speaker wire so i know resistance isnt an issue. thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lack of power, from what ive experinced. Try backing the gains down.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What gauge is you power and ground to the amp? Where is your ground grounded? Do you have a battery in the trunk or is power ran from front batt? Rca's or line converter or low level inputs?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
there was some fail in this thread lol. 1st your gain shouldnt be all the way uo as it would be sending a clipped signal to your amp, 2nd go through an check the wiring and see why you are even able to go to full gain without blowing a fuse. 3rd check to see if loose wire be the case

·
Registered
444 Posts
there was some fail in this thread lol. 1st your gain shouldnt be all the way uo as it would be sending a clipped signal to your amp, 2nd go through an check the wiring and see why you are even able to go to full gain without blowing a fuse. 3rd check to see if loose wire be the case

The gain isn't a volume knob. It is used to match the input voltage of the RCA's coming for the deck. So if your RCA's are putting out 4v. Then turn the gain on the amp to around 4v. So if his Deck is only sending a .02v to the amp then Gain maxxed would be right. Given his deck is probably sending more then .02v signal, but you can't say full gain will send a clipped signal. But really an O-scope is best to set gains.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was my grounds... they were rusted out pretty bad so i cleaned everything up, put on new terminals and it sounds great now. i did play around with the gain as well and found that the sub sounds best (to me) at about 3/4 the way up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts