Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I just realized that my JL W7 12" sub's surround foam has ripped due to the heat (I'm assuming heat because I didn't rip it).

It's ripped about 5". I was wondering if there is something I can use to repair this? I can't afford another sub right now (and I don't want to be without one!) The sub still works, but I'm assuming that this rip isn't good for it.

Thanks in advance.

Corey

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys.

So I repaired my subwoofer. Followed the steps, seemed pretty straight forward... I believe I did everything correctly. It looks good.

*Quick back story - I used to have (2) 12" JL W7 subs in my car. I had (1) 1000/1 amp powering them. I took one sub out and sold it, kept the same box but I just built a new front for one sub rather than two.

So after pulling my sub to fix the surround foam, I decided to build a new box for (1) 12"W7 according to the JL specs, which I did.

Then I called JL and told them what I had and told me what settings to set my amp to.

All installed, here comes the test... ummm.... I can hear the sub hitting, but putting off base like a mid-range speaker. I thought maybe I mixed up the + and -, so I switched those and it actually hit a little harder, but nothing like it is supposed to.

I haven't really messed with the amp settings (I kinda forgot how they were set before). I remember the JL guy told me no more than 3 on base boost. I remember before it was a lot higher than that, but I don't think that that is the problem. I'm nervous cause it sounds like a blown speaker, but it was working perfect before (even with a torn surround) and I did not damage it at all during the surround repair.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? Can I mess with all the settings while the radio is on? I don't want to have to take it to a car audio shop :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
You should be able to mess with the bass boost but I would be weary of overloading the speaker with the amp that you have. I always try to buy amps that are slightly less than the speakers as to not blow the speaker. Did you adjust the gain at all?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice so far phattyj.

Just got done mess'n with the settings. Didn't make a difference much. Couldn't get it to sound like it used to. The bass is hitting a little bit, but from the inside of my cab you can't tell there is a sub, just maybe really good mid-speakers with decent base. And I think we all know how a freak'n W7 should sound.... my car in my driveway should make my house rattle.

The box is smaller, but like I said I got the specs off JL's website... 1.375 cu ft (internal). Called and the guy said to go for about 1.5 cu ft. I am at about 1.5 - 1.7 (I forget the end measurement). The box is sealed tight. I just worry it is the speaker. Is there a way to pull it and test it another way? Or any other ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be able to mess with the bass boost but I would be weary of overloading the speaker with the amp that you have. I always try to buy amps that are slightly less than the speakers as to not blow the speaker. Did you adjust the gain at all?
This is the wrong thinking entirely. Distortion is what kills speakers most of the time not clean power. Undersizing your amp is more likely for you to turn the gains up to clipping levels on the amp that if you over power and use a lower gain setting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts