Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Subwoofers

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  M0U35Y's_SS 
#1 ·
how do you guys select your subs?/ do you do it by db or RMS power?? I have seen a couple of threads and everyone is recommending subs with 86-89 db rating. I try to go for 92+db and at least 600RMS what do you guys think?

#2 ·
db vs RMS isn't a good comparison. Db (decibels) measures how sensitive your sub is, and is more of how you pair your subs with your amp. RMS is how much power the amp can deliver/the sub can take constantly. You could buy a 1000W RMS sub, but if you only have a 200W RMS amp it's not going to sound that good. On the other hand, you could get a 200W RMS sub and a 1000W RMS amp and you have a good chance of blowing your sub if you turn it up too much. It's best to get an amp that's RMS rating is around 20% stronger than your sub (ie - 250W amp with a 200W sub), then turn the gain on your amp to about 80%. That way, you won't get much distortion from the amp huffing and puffing to push out max power to your sub, and your sub will be playing at it's max power constantly. Distortion is WAY worse for any speaker than playing it too loud could ever be.

if you want, you can put up some options that you're looking at and I can let you know what a good pair can be. Or, you can give a price range you want to stay in and i (or anyone else) can suggest a few good pairings. You'll have to let us know what you're looking for (boom vs. sound quality) first tho...

#4 ·
from the looks of it, that should be a pretty good setup. Both the subs are 700W RMS a piece, and the amp puts out 800W RMS at 2 ohms, which you'll get if you wire them in parallel. If you turn the gain on your amp to around 85%, you can turn your subs up as loud as your stereo can go and you shouldn't be in any danger of damaging them. Good luck!

#5 ·
smh.. yeah don't do that. you'll have to tune your amp in accordance with the preamp of you deck.

#6 ·
Look into an ddm1 on the smd forum or an o scope. Good rule of thumb would be to figure ur preamp volts off ur headunit and turn the gain knob to the coresponding voltahe on ur amp. That will get u close. When in doubt go with the lesser amount. May take time qithout an o-scope or ddm1 but be patient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.