Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I have a 92 civi caprice with the 5.0
about a month before I got my 9c1 it started to eat gas like a mother! I was getting like 15mpg....
I should add that the problems started directly after I was drafting a state trooper.... we were going excess of 100mph and the gov'ners kicked in..
ever since then the boat has been getting ultra ****ty gas milage.
anybody have any clues as to what is doing this and how much to fix??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First thing I do when I notice dipping gas mileage is make sure my tires have correct PSI.
Sounds dumb, but it can matter like 1-2 MPG sometimes.

Just for kicks, add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Could help out. Also, bad gas can sometimes burn funny and cause lots of problems, so try a new gas station.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEAH,
the tires probably have alot to do with it cuz they are almost bald and the car hasnt been driven alot in the past few months(I am selling it). but I think the tires are only part of the problem.
I lost about 5mpg so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas... I was thinking maybe a 02 sensor or something but i'm no grease monkey
-Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have had my olds custom cruiser in excess of 100 before, what you need to do is check your spark plugs, at that high an RPM you can end up plugging up a spark plug. The O2 sensor could be your problem, i replace mine for $30 about six months ago and i gained 2 to 3 mpg. Do you hear any weird noises when the engine runs a high rev? let me know.
David

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no wierd noises.... but Im way to busy to check the plugs... that and its 10 degrees out side.
-Dan

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish my car got 15 mpg. I'm getting about 13.5 mpg. Hmmm I wonder what my friend's 502 gets on gas??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After ALL the basics of tuning, filters, tire pressures, extra weight in car, etc., yaydayada, is checked, simply: drive like a raw egg is on your accelerator and brake pedal, "gently drive and anticipate", I could get up to 22mpg years ago out of my carbureated, auto trans, BIG '68 Dodge Coronet, but do ALL the other checks first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts