Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Suncoast hood for my 96 Impala and it appears to keep hitting the fan shroud / radiator shroud. It closes and latches but it sits off the headlights quite a bit. I have received the bump stops under the hood to see if that would help but doesn't. Has anyone else had this problem or know of any other solution. The guys at the body shop that painted it and installed said it was a pain to align it. And tell me its hitting on the shroud.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
if the problem is the shroud you might want to do a electric fan conversion. or your going to have to start hacking up the hood underneath. can you see where the hood is hitting the fan shroud?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i think it might be that it came with a tow package maybe?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe its your struts, is the hood fiberglass?
and 96 impalas dont have fan shrouds or am I missing something?

Yeah the hood is fiberglass. I pick the car up tomorrow from the body shop and will post pictures of where it's hitting. I thought the Impala's had electric fans on them. It might be the plastic ridge on the radiator shroud? Not really sure. BABYBLUE9C1 I'm gonna have to get your email address so I can email you the pictures so you can post up if you don't mind.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
no not at all, pm sent

I know the B4U caprices have a clutch fan and drum brakes out back, but I wasnt aware that some impala SSs had the tow package, I'm a little skeptical on that

this subject of the struts came up in the "post your ram-air hood" thread, i got guys in my club with fiberglass hoods, and they had trouble closing the hood, or it would not line up properly because of the old struts being too strong for the lighter hood. I just recently grabbed some F body struts off a 94 Z-28, so when I put on my VFN hood ill see if they work

heres the thread... http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228056&page=2

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had to elongate the bolt holes on the hood latch to get it to sit down properly....and also installed F body struts. I think that a body shop would have already done this, though....probably something else, but I can't think what it might be.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It really shouldn't be hitting anything that the stock hood didn't hit, it's not any lower at any point. It has to be an issue with the install. You really are better off with f-body hood struts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same problem I slotted my latch holes too. Someone here told me to remove struts, and it helped alot. As far as "shroud" I had a 3 core radiator built for my car & the plastic part that goes on top of the radiator stuck up some causing the air box to raise up where it mounted so I shaved it a little, but the strutts (even f body) were causing most of the problem. p.s. i think my hood is an older one. Mine is still not perfect, but better.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
when you go to a fiberglass hood your suposed to relocate your hood spring and also switch to 93-97 hood struts.... at least thats what i did and have never had a problem

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to elongate the bolt holes on the hood latch to get it to sit down properly....and also installed F body struts. I think that a body shop would have already done this, though....probably something else, but I can't think what it might be.

I'm gonna give this a shot and see if it works. I hope so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm gonna give this a shot and see if it works. I hope so.

Waddup. I had the same problem. Had to grind under the hood where the radiator support is. I will post pics tonite. Also had to remove the driver's side hood strut to get it to lay down evenly on that side. I am gonna try the F-body hoods struts to see if they would work. Currently I have just the one strut holding the hood up. It works fine but would rather have two holding it up.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You will need the f body struts (for sure) the b body struts are to strong and can cause your hood to worp in the center,making it look like its some what open.

The other problem you may have with the hood being seperated from head lights could be fixed by just adjusting(lowering)hood latch and bump stops.

Start by closing the bump stops all the way,then start adjustinghood latch.Do this without strunts connected and without side screw on hood hinges. DO NOT have hood hinges all the way tight while adjusting just have then enough to where you can move it abit.

hope this helps,just keep in mind these fiberglass hood will hardly ever be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will need the f body struts (for sure) the b body struts are to strong and can cause your hood to worp in the center,making it look like its some what open.

The other problem you may have with the hood being seperated from head lights could be fixed by just adjusting(lowering)hood latch and bump stops.

Start by closing the bump stops all the way,then start adjustinghood latch.Do this without strunts connected and without side screw on hood hinges. DO NOT have hood hinges all the way tight while adjusting just have then enough to where you can move it abit.

hope this helps,just keep in mind these fiberglass hood will hardly ever be a perfect fit.
Definitely gonna get those F Body struts for sure. Can I get them from the dealer or hit some junk yards?

I already removed the bump stops so that's not the issue. I will adjust the hood latch when I get it back today. The suncoast hood doesn't have the 2 holes on the side like the stock hood does. To adjust the hood latch just loosen them a little bit? Or any other special tricks?

I appreciate all the help on this guys.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Definitely gonna get those F Body struts for sure. Can I get them from the dealer or hit some junk yards?

I already removed the bump stops so that's not the issue. I will adjust the hood latch when I get it back today. The suncoast hood doesn't have the 2 holes on the side like the stock hood does. To adjust the hood latch just loosen them a little bit? Or any other special tricks?

I appreciate all the help on this guys.
I got my f-body hood struts new for $40 at auto zone,but im sure you can get them at a parts yard.
(REMEMBER NOT TO HAVE THE HINGES ALL THE WAY TIGHT when working the hood latch)

When moving the hood latch, loosen the bolts but not all the way,just enough to tap it down a bit with whatever tool your uses(ratchet works best) you will see it lower then tighten back,close the hood and see where your at.This may take a few trys,when your satisfied slightly open the hood just to where you can fully tighten the hinges.Once you do that open the hood and tighten the latch all the way down.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I lowered the hood latch all the way down and the hood won't latch so I moved it up alittle more. The hood is hitting that bar that the radiator is bolted to. I can see the paint being scrapped off the hood by the bolts. So I started adjusting the headlights last night. Got 1 done last night but wanted to make sure I was moving them right. There's 2 alan key screws on each side of the side light just loosen them?

·
Registered
76 Posts
question

Does any body know what year F-Body Struts should be used on the sun coast Hoods ? Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.