Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
The boys at Horsepower TV decided to do a Honda. They bought a used one, and dynoed it stock: 87HP at the wheels.

They then added an intake, headers and exhaust for $1,000, and dynoed 97hp

Kinda makes you wish you had a Honda, doesn't it????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
George,

You better watch yourself when rollin the cherry bomb with all these highly modded 97 horsepower Hondas running around. Better keep those bottles full. :D Seriously though, what model Honda was it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look at it as an 11% gain in HP for $1,000 and it looks much better! My headers, exhaust, and intake were more like $1,500 (FLP, Dynomax, SRI) just in parts (my labor).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't see that show, but I'm guessing that it was a pre-96 Civic with the little D15 1.5 L motor (which is a SOHC motor without VTEC - it's designed purely for low cost and high efficiency). I can't see spending all that money on bolt-ons, when $2500 will buy a Prelude H22 motor and trans (2.2 L DOHC VTEC, 200 HP = about 180 HP to the wheels). I mean, this would be kinda like trying to hop-up a pre-'91 Caprice with the 4.3 L V6 (or a modern V6 F-body) when a small-block will drop right in.

Besides, putting a header on a near-stock Honda is a waste of time since the factory gives you a nice little 4-2-1 system that works fine with lightly-modded motors, those $200 "cold air intakes" can be accomplished for $50 just like the sewer-pipe mod on our cars, and anyone who pays $500 for a cat-back system when a shop will bend up a custom system for $150 gets what they deserve(remember, the exhaust on your average FWD is super-simple and can even be fabbed at home).

I'm a bit disappointed that HPTV didn't go about these mods a bit more intellegently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But Eric, If they supplied the parts as a freebie, in exchange for a plug on the show, who is going to discuss alternatives? ;)
(and if you saw the smoke coming out the exhaust when they reved it, a new motor may not be too far away)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point, Reese - I just wish I was sponsored by major part manufacturers ;)

Hope it wasn't smoking too badly - Hondas are durable as all hell due to their high-quality internals, but you had better be prepared to pay for those quality parts come rebuild time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw this show and it was pretty lame but I believe the smoke was just due to the new exhaust. My exhaust burned blue for a few hours after install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They gave themselves a budget of $8500, and spent $3500 buying the car, leaving $5000 for mods.

How would any of you guys familiar with imports spend the money?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSMOKEM:
They gave themselves a budget of $8500, and spent $3500 buying the car, leaving $5000 for mods.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd buy a domestic.

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know how the hosts of that show can look themselves in the mirror after doing that episode. To each his own, but $1000 for 10hp, come on. I'm surprized the editors put it on the air. The manufactures of the mods they did must have paid them handsomely. I don't have as much respect for the show I once did!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,
The boys at Horsepower TV decided to do a Honda. dynoed it stock: 87HP at the wheels.
They then added an intake, headers and exhaust for $1,000, and dynoed 97hp
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they even had the nerve to SMILE :D when they announced the 'gains'

I mean.....GEEEEZZZZZ :rolleyes: .

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
George,
Here's how I'd do it.....
....because it is what I've done!

Buy a Mitsubishi 1G (first gen eclipse '91-'94) or in my case a '92 Galant VR4 which is turbo, 5-speed, AWD, 4 wheel steering, intercooled, etc. for $3500 (price I paid)

Drive it for a year as is: stock 197 hp, with boost controller and K&N about 240hp.

Then, do a complete R&R on the engine (dropping the balance shafts, adding JE pistons, bored, balanced) head job, 272 cams, T3/T4OE turbo, 3" exhaust, BIG front mount intercooler, external waste gate, custom chip, modded F#%d MAS, ACT clutch, limited slip rear diff (losing rear steering rack), to put down about 300hp to all 4 wheels with pump gas for right about $5000 in parts with the machining costs. As in Horsepower TV install is done on your own.

No, bottom end rebuild wasn't necessary but I wanted everything to last and it had 130K so I decided to do it right and start fresh.

Still need to see which of my 4 doors is faster!

-PJ Gross
'96 BBB
'92 GVR4 #490/1000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Bryant:
I mean, this would be kinda like trying to hop-up a pre-'91 Caprice with the 4.3 L V6 (or a modern V6 F-body) when a small-block will drop right in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how hard it'd be to swap the 4.3L Vortec V6 in place of my 305? It makes more power, not much less torque, and weighs less.

nawwww

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, starting with a $3500 Civic:

1) Ditch the stock D15 for a B16 ($2000, 160-170 HP stock, lightweight), B18 ($2500, 180 HP, lightweight), or H22 ($2500, 200 HP, heavy). This decision depends on how much straight-line performance one needs, and how much needs to be spent elsewhere.

2) Pick up a decent set of wheels and tires for around $1000. 17s are a joke on a car of that size and weight - 15s work just fine with a good stiff-sidewall tire, and autocrossers use 14s or even 13s to minimize rotating mass. Something like the Kosei K1 (I think I've got that model correct) can be had for $125 in the 15", which leaves $125/each for good tires. If we're talking an all-out track car, then it's going to be DOT-legal race tires like Kuhmo or Hoosier.

4) $900 go to a set of Koni Yellow struts. Springs may or may not be required, depending on the motor choice and trim level of the car. Add $400 if they are.

So, there you go - that's about $5000 once everything's said and done. Assuming that one picked the H22 engine option, they've got a car that'll do 13s and still outhandle 99% of the cars out there. If handling is the ultimate goal (and it should be - building a FWD car to dragrace is not necessarly the most intellegent use of one's time), then the B16 or B18 engine options will provide a car that'll clean up at autocrosses or Solo I competition (with a bit of extra safety equipment).

Before you even start, I know there's ways to go down the quarter for less money. Buy a 70s-80s Malibu/Nova/Monte for $1000 and spend the rest on a killer motor/tranny combo. You can pick up a decent 3rd-gen F-body and get it running really well for $8500. One very interesting feature about dropping a bone-stock high-perf OEM Honda motor into a Civic is that nearly every part comes from the local Honda dealer - that means that you can expect to retain the stock Honda durability, and can find parts just about anywhere.

Sure, it's not the car that most people on this forum would build. Note that there's not one in my driveway, even though the whole car could be built for what I've got into just the engine mods on my car. But, it'd be a heck of nifty little grocery-getter and commuter that would be entertaining in the right performance contests (and that's not racing the Cherry Bomb down the dragstrip).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scrapyard:
When did this become a rice forum?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh....now THAT'S funny!!! :D

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey Eric,

I was perfectly serious with my question, thanks for the reply. I know some kids with Hondas that go to the track, and we talk about mods, so I'll try to remember what you said

One on my young acquaintances (around 20 years old), with no car, just got himself a good deal on a built V6 Bowtie motor and he's now looking for a Fiero to put it in. I'm sure his total will be less than $8500, and I'm willing to bet he'll easily run high 13s NA, and he also already has a Nitrous kit :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.