Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scrapyard:
When did this become a rice forum?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Occassionally, it's interesting to see what sort of mods are being done to other vehicles, just to see if some new ideas can be generated.

But, since you don't want to see anything other than B-body stuff on the forum, I'll limit the information I share to only the stuff I've learned from other B-body guys :rolleyes:

It's a big world out there - don't be scared to explore it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSMOKEM:
One on my young acquaintances (around 20 years old), with no car, just got himself a good deal on a built V6 Bowtie motor and he's now looking for a Fiero to put it in. I'm sure his total will be less than $8500, and I'm willing to bet he'll easily run high 13s NA, and he also already has a Nitrous kit :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa - that sounds like a cool project! I still want to do a V8 Fiero of some sort (maybe with a SBC, maybe with a Northstar). Seems like that's about as close as I'll ever get to an Italian exotic :D

And tell the kids with the Hondas that they shouldn't be playing at the dragstrip - get 'em over to an autocross event ;) Seriously, some of those import guys are going pretty quick, and the serious ones are doing some very cool engine work. For all the crap that ricers talk about HP/L, it's interesting to note the path of the "all-motor" guys - punch out the block as big as it will go, put in a long-stroke crank, and stick some big cams in a high-flow head. The parts may not be that familar to a traditional hot-rodder, but the techniques certainly should be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nine years ago, I took my '89 VW Fox (stock 81 hp, weighs only 2050 lbs) put a brand new Audi 2.0 (has piston oil squirters!) with a shaved GTI head ($1800), larger throttle body ($50 junk yard), Dasher exhaust manifold with down pipe (it's like a 4-2-1 system) $300. This combo puts out around 125 hp and the thing is pretty torquey for a four banger. Depite a rotten interior and decayed paint job, it still runs great with over 300k miles. Impala relevence? THis is my beater car! As I type, the Impala is in the garage with new carpet, mats, and a fresh coat of Zaino. The VW Fox sits outside shod with Yokohama snows. If you live where it snows, it sure is nice to have a fine winter beater!When you see those Hopped up Hondas, rember, they'd make fine winter beaters!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I couldn't agree with you more on that one, dsclark. Those cars sure take a lickin' and sure keep on a tickin', they are like cars you would use as daily-drivers, to keep the high miles off your prized-possesion-the chevrolets! I've had a few in my time that had never really let me down! I say do what you can with what you got and be proud of it!

95 caprice, k&n fipk, intrx springs, home-base delete, turbo muffs and resonator-delete, more to come!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theseawolf:
I say do what you can with what you got and be proud of it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D Thats the best attitude to have about alot of things, not just cars :cool:

-Ant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsclark:
As I type, the Impala is in the garage with new carpet, mats, and a fresh coat of Zaino. The VW Fox sits outside shod with Yokohama snows. If you live where it snows, it sure is nice to have a fine winter beater!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's just me, but i don't know. I just figured if you enjoy your car, enjoy it year 'round. If I lived in snowy areas, I would still drive my nice car day in/day out. And not just for the 9 or so months out of the year that snow isn't present. Anyways, I've lived in Louisiana for my (nearly) 23 years of existance and that's just my take of the situation. Happy motoring

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by college slacker:

Maybe it's just me, but i don't know. I just figured if you enjoy your car, enjoy it year 'round.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, the problem isn't the snow - it's the salt that follows the snow. If you've ever worked on a car that's seen 10 Michigan winters with only infrequent washing, you'd start to understand what I mean. That's what my SS gets parked in the wintertime - I'd really like to see it rust-free 20 years from now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Bryant:
For me, the problem isn't the snow - it's the salt that follows the snow. - I'd really like to see it rust-free 20 years from now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I'm glad it only snows here once every 6 years and salt is about that frequent also .

There's no product out there (like a removeable plastic-type sheet) to protect cars from salt and its side effects?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by college slacker:
There's no product out there (like a removeable plastic-type sheet) to protect cars from salt and its side effects?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that ugly-ass plastic cladding on GM cars is designed to improve corrosion resistance, but the whole underbody on the car is still exposed.

The only good defense against corrosion is frequent washing during the winter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, when my dad and i restored our old '70 Bug we used a paint-on/spray-on rubber product to prevent rust from forming again on the belly. It's worked so far even with non-stop humidity and frequent rain storms. Would this approach help any?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Rain and high humidity are different than driving in salty environments. But, stuff like undercoating can certainly help, if there's no opportunity for contaimination to get trapped by the coating.

Still, working on a car that's been driving for any length of time through a Rust Belt winter will convince one that it's a good idea to have a "winter beater" of some sort. It's a good reason to go pick up some old RWD car and have some parking-lot fun emulating your favorite rally driver. 20 years from now, you'll still be driving a nice, clean Impala SS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Snow?? Man I really love living in AZ. 80 Degrees around Christmas, 105 today. We never have to put our cars away for the winter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
87 HP not bad, I get to 60 in 3.2 seconds on my Yamaha. :D

They should have just removed a couple of thousand pounds from the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> When you see those Hopped up Hondas, rember, they'd make fine winter beaters! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be true for your area however, I see tons of those little guys buzzing around in CA as well. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> It's a big world out there - don't be scared to explore it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next off, Eric, you are really starting to worry me. You have WAY to much knowlege on rice bro. I am starting to think you are a "switch hitter". Tell me that your not an "in the closet" rice guy! Say it aint so Eric!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
not all import are rice and no all chevy are muscle. i like anything that go really fast. To do it on budget is another plus.

Being in NY area, there are tons of rice mobile on the road, as well there are tons of nicely done import. I have seem some daily drive 11 sec import those car will run circle around stock c5 corvette all day long.

but when u start modding car then it's a different story. It's depend on how deep your pocket is and what ur goal is. Most car can be made to perform, and sometime i think some ppl just have too much time/money on their hand. To each of one's own and run what u got. It is a big world out there. i go to import night/gathering cause inquire mind want to know. Check out the competion, swimming suit model :D see what's the trend, and what new technology is out there. If that make me a rice boy then so be it.

i choose b-body cause the style(ppl said i have weird taste...), safety, performance, price and etc etc.

i think rice is a driver mentality, not the vehicale.

not to flame anyone, just got too much time on my hand...

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It was a honda dx with high miles, over 100k. If they were to get a newer model si, around that year/time that would have killed there budget. Them cars arent expensive to begin with, but have high resale value cause they last a long time and plus finding a si that hasnt already been modded for sale is nearly impossible. So when you do find one that has zero mods on it, they want top dollar for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSMOKEM:
Hey guys,
The boys at Horsepower TV decided to do a Honda. They bought a used one, and dynoed it stock: 87HP at the wheels.

They then added an intake, headers and exhaust for $1,000, and dynoed 97hp

Kinda makes you wish you had a Honda, doesn't it????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is about ratings and viewer numbers.
Doesn't matter what they (the cast on H. TV) accomplish specifically, it is the subject matter they choose. What is gonna generate more viewers and viewer response, a Chevy B-body or a Honda anything? What is more popular today, savings jobs or shipping them to China? And seeing that I thrive on controversy, I believe this topic belongs in 'Concerns'.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.