Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been pondering a few ideas for a high power fuel system. The most basic of which, one that Tad gave me idea for, is simply to have two in tank walbro 255's, one to a Hobbs switch to turn on under boost. Another idea is to use a booster pump....

But then it got me thinking that there are downsides to both those setups. Downside to setup 1 is that your secondary pump can fail leaving you lean as a mofo (I guess that is a problem with setup two as well). Problem with both is that it is pretty well known that our fuel tanks suck as far as baffling goes.

So it got me thinking about a surge tank. Run a 255lph pump in tank that feeds a small fuel cell, with a large say A1000 pump feeding the fuel from that tank to the motor. This could make up for our plastic tanks inability to have a sump, and allow for the use of a large inline fuel pump like an A1000 without spending big bucks on a fabbed tank and also while still having the capacity of the stock tank. It would also leave a stock appearance on the outside for all the sleeper folks. I mean of course, depending on the size of the surge tank you'd eventually run it dry if you stayed at WOT for an extended length of time but it should be more than enough for a 1/4 mile pass or the average street burst. I guess the only downside I see is figuring out a way to make it all safe, but there should be a way to safely mount it so we don't end up having a Flambe 2 on the forums (bad joke? sorry BK! lol)

Just figured i'd throw this idea out there and get a discussion going. What does everyone think?

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
I had mentioned having a small makeup tank at the front inside the frame rails.
The idea was not well received for safety reasons.

We ran a IMSA-TA car in the 80's with one pump picking up from each corner in the cell pumping into a tall narrow make up tank ( protected by the cage) with a 3rd single pump pulling off the bottom for the engine.

On the return for tank to fuel cell I put a check valve so if the rear pumps started losing ground or plain died, the makeup tank would not pull air in through the return.
There was also a relief on the return to keep pressure up in the makeup tank.
This would allow the engine to get fuel if there was an outright failure of the front pump
Worked well at the time allowing every scrap of fuel to get used.
I am pondering a similar setup with my engine swap coming up.
Gerry

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I was thinking about the same things with my setup. What I finally decided on was Mikes tank fabbed with a stump to fit and support a1000 fuel system. I am not sure if you to 2k u want to drop in a fuel system and tank, plus like you said it will loose a bit of the sleeper effect, but it holds 20 gallons like stock and it is safer than duel pump setup.

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
95 Wagon, it seems that you'd be able to mount a small plastic fuel cell like the ones sold in summit in the trunk...seems like it would be as safe as a gas tank or a fuel cell.

Tugg, I saw pictures of that and it looked bad ass! Wish I had the cash for a system like that, I am trying to make due with maybe $1200 or so including pumps, line ect...

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
there is enough room beind the tank for another tank!cwm7

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tad, you ever dyno a car with a surge tank setup? Any opinions/observations/advice regarding them?

PS you're right about the room behind the tank. I want to go out and check my 94, see how fitment would be.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Tad, you ever dyno a car with a surge tank setup? Any opinions/observations/advice regarding them?

PS you're right about the room behind the tank. I want to go out and check my 94, see how fitment would be.
If meth counts yes.

Also keep in mind the c5 /c6 Vetts, G8 & 5th gen Camaros have transfer pumps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.