Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking Into getting a whole new suspension kit for 96 impala. Had for about 10 years now just sitting, so like to bring her back to life with a while new upgrade rear and front suspension including shocks/struts. Just put a new battery, fresh Royal purple oil, k&n oil filter, and k&n air filter. Fired right up. She all stock. Any suggestion?!?! Sorry to get off topic just excited to get her back on the road!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Start with new member intro...

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When I rebuilt mine I didn't use any "kits". I went to Rock Auto and put my own together with MOOG "problem solver" parts. All made in the USA and much cheaper than any kit. Front/rear springs, all bushings, tie rods, etc.

Pay no attention to those useless standard KYB shocks, they were trash. I ended up using these instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with Bilstiens.
Sinister, How did the coil springs from Rock Auto work out?
Same height as original SS springs?
I have a broken lower front control arm on my SS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Damn, that looks great.
Looks like the new springs dropped it down?
I also need new springs for the Old SS. I’m about to roll over 308,000 miles. Right front lower control arm is broken and the Bilstein shock is also broken. I still drive it daily up and down I-35.
B25F1EF8-D9B9-450B-A52B-124AA71CED3E.jpeg
53420C48-2C34-4789-8B1F-D52403315600.jpeg
597E0732-CB95-4AD7-BF87-6B52A454AE7F.jpeg
53420C48-2C34-4789-8B1F-D52403315600.jpeg
597E0732-CB95-4AD7-BF87-6B52A454AE7F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Thank you. About to hit 211k. Bought it 3 years ago at 197k. Have done a lot to it and still have more to do. First pic is when I got it and 2nd one is a couple weeks ago. First 2.5 years it did more sitting than driving but has since became my daily.

The new springs dropped it quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
If I'm repeating myself from some other time, which springs did you go with? And what size are the new tires. It does look great!
Front Moog 5662
Rear Moog CC 501

15x8 wheels with 255-60-15 Cooper Cobra tires.

Had 18s on it for two years but I was never happy with my wheel choice. They looked great in photos while doing research but once I put them on I hated them, lol. I also learned I’m just not a “big wheel” person during that time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Thanks. How you like that rate up front? Measured heights? Always collecting real data for my spreadsheet.

My 95 is same color and i just notice front bumper doing exact same thing. Just started. Hoping to just reclear the top in a couple weeks when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Thanks. How you like that rate up front? Measured heights? Always collecting real data for my spreadsheet.

My 95 is same color and i just notice front bumper doing exact same thing. Just started. Hoping to just reclear the top in a couple weeks when it gets warmer.
Car rides fine to me. Now that the taller 18" tires are gone the fender rub has been eliminated up front. I keep saying it but I will eventually get some measurements.

25 years in the Florida sun and my wagon desperately needs a complete paint job. Paint is nearly gone on top of bumper and the clear is gone in multiple places. I have an OCC front bumper that will go on at some point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking Into getting a whole new suspension kit for 96 impala. Had for about 10 years now just sitting, so like to bring her back to life with a while new upgrade rear and front suspension including shocks/struts. Just put a new battery, fresh Royal purple oil, k&n oil filter, and k&n air filter. Fired right up. She all stock. Any suggestion?!?! Sorry to get off topic just excited to get her back on the road!!!
I replaced the entire suspension on my 96 Impala SS with a QA1 coil-over front and upper and lower control arm rear Track II upgrade with Hotchkis Performance spring set, and fully adjustable QA1 shocks, poly bushings new ball joints, HD sway bars,the works. Added a police/taxi steering box to replace the worn stock box with 250,000 miles, holds the corners under power better than when new with the stock DeCarbon shocks. went with police Bilstien shocks after that. Ride height is stock with the upgrade. It's a sleeper until you put it in a corner or on a track, then it shines in holding the road! worth looking into if you're serious about keeping the car. NOT a typical "Suspension upgrade", but it's worth it! www.QA1.net Check it out

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the entire suspension on my 96 Impala SS with a QA1 coil-over front and upper and lower control arm rear Track II upgrade with Hotchkis Performance spring set, and fully adjustable QA1 shocks, poly bushings new ball joints, HD sway bars,the works. Added a police/taxi steering box to replace the worn stock box with 250,000 miles, holds the corners under power better than when new with the stock DeCarbon shocks. went with police Bilstien shocks after that. Ride height is stock with the upgrade. It's a sleeper until you put it in a corner or on a track, then it shines in holding the road! worth looking into if you're serious about keeping the car. NOT a typical "Suspension upgrade", but it's worth it! www.QA1.net Check it out
What's up everyone? Sorry for not introducing myself I'm D-boy. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and ideas like I mentioned before been sitting on my baby. I got my moog center link and moog idler arm. I'm keeping this girl so I do want to put the best lil at a time. Now that being said the part in between upper control arm and brake caliber what is that called? Knuckle steering?

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scottdog, I also purchased upper and lower control arm ball joints and bushings. Some stabilizers and inner and outer tie rods from Napa and moog idler arm and moog center link. What else would I need to complete front suspension?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry DeeBaws, I can't say what to do. I might have misunderstood. Sounds like you're beefing up a stock SS suspension, rather than replacing the entire suspension, like I did. When my car was stock, I went with the Police-grade Bilstein shocks, they most approximated the Original DeCarbon shock that came on the SS originally. If replacing all the bushings, I'd go with Poly, noisy when new, but realy keeps things tight). Hotchkiss Springs (I used the stock height for and aft), if the old springs have lost tension. Check your frame for cracks, they happen on occassion.
the QA1 Track II upgrade required the old suspension cut out and the new components welded in position. Only the Pitman and Idler arm, (heavy duty), remain stock. The new upper and lower A arms with coil-over shocks approximate McPherson struts in geometry, which the CHP had modified in their Caprice Classics of the time period. The rear suspension has longer trailing arms than the stock arms and upper control arms added to the differential to the frame. Functions better than a Pan-hard rod,and keeps the rear wheels centered in the wheel wells in hard power turns, keeps rear wheels on the ground for improved traction and performance.
Good luck on your project
Scottdog
Morro Bay, CA

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man really took the advice I was looking to beef up suspension not keep stock so far I got moog center link moog idler arm. I returned inner and outer tie rod ends to Napa suggestions on tie rod end?

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the forums.

When I rebuilt mine I didn't use any "kits". I went to Rock Auto and put my own together with MOOG "problem solver" parts. All made in the USA and much cheaper than any kit. Front/rear springs, all bushings, tie rods, etc.

Pay no attention to those useless standard KYB shocks, they were trash. I ended up using these instead.

Thanks Sinister

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
9C1s & WX3s (& WX8s) use the same steering gearboxes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts