Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Say DeeBaws,
The Taxi/Police steering gear is a special order , O'Rielly's and NAPA carry them, Summit and Auto Zone may also. You have to specify you want the heavy duty taxi/police box. About $320.00 plus the core. Definitely different , (stiffer response), from the stock steering box.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
When I swapped my box I went with a brand new Boregson unit.

The box is not cheap but I was very happy with the end result.

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When I swapped my box I went with a brand new Boregson unit.

The box is not cheap but I was very happy with the end result.
Right on Sinister good looking out. Thanks for pick and the help. Highly appreciated. I'm looking for driver side rear view mirror kids trampoline flew took it out as well as big dent on door now smh

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Say DeeBaws,
The Taxi/Police steering gear is a special order , O'Rielly's and NAPA carry them, Summit and Auto Zone may also. You have to specify you want the heavy duty taxi/police box. About $320.00 plus the core. Definitely different , (stiffer response), from the stock steering box.
Thank you Scottdog I'm going to look into that asap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
  1. Koo thanks. I ordered moog control arms do they come with cross shaft installed?

·
Registered
1996 Chevy Impala SS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I replaced the entire suspension on my 96 Impala SS with a QA1 coil-over front and upper and lower control arm rear Track II upgrade with Hotchkis Performance spring set, and fully adjustable QA1 shocks, poly bushings new ball joints, HD sway bars,the works. Added a police/taxi steering box to replace the worn stock box with 250,000 miles, holds the corners under power better than when new with the stock DeCarbon shocks. went with police Bilstien shocks after that. Ride height is stock with the upgrade. It's a sleeper until you put it in a corner or on a track, then it shines in holding the road! worth looking into if you're serious about keeping the car. NOT a typical "Suspension upgrade", but it's worth it! www.QA1.net Check it out
  • What's up yah that is one sick set up!!! Maybe one day I can drop that bag on her. In regards to the police Bilstien shocks would you happen to remember part #?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, it was long ago, and I didn't keep receipts. Auto Zone or NAPA should be able to help answer that. i got the heavy-duty Bilstiens and got a stiff yet comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
RPO 7B3: Front 1104 Rear 0929
RPO 8X3: Front 1516 Rear 1517

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Those are only partial part numbers, but us in the know which is which. The 1516/1517 combo is a more modern progressive shock designed specifically for the 91-96 police cars. The other was for the earlier box caprices. That's stiffer feeling because it's a linear shock. Faster it moves, the stiffer it is. Cars feel nice and tight with the earlier shocks, but you probably don't want them if you have horrible roads. I put the fronts in and took them out a month later... :) Places like Indiana with perfect roads, they'd be great.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What is the difference between the two if u don't mind me asking?
With no intent to contradict anything 91ss said …

Quoting Scott Mueller:
1516/1517 shocks feature slightly firmer compression but also much looser rebound settings than the 1104/0929 shocks, which Chevy believes to help control the car better when it is going over large bumps, uneven roads,
or when it is coming down from being AIRBORNE. (emphasis mine)

1516/1517 shocks are also progressively damped, which means they have a variable rate that offers less resistance to light inputs, and much greater resistance to large inputs. This gives a more comfortable ride, especially over rough roads, and still offers greater control than the original factory shocks when the situation demands. Unfortunately the variable rate also makes them feel floaty during normal driving, especially when compared to the DeCarbon shocks that are standard on the Impala. The 1104/0929 shocks are a linear damped shock, and do indeed "feel" much firmer and offer more control, especially with lighter inputs.

Bilstein commented that the 1516/1517 shocks are one of the only ones they have done where the compression rate is higher than the rebound. These were done specifically for Chevy at the SEO 9C1 platform engineer's request. This does give them more of a "built-in float" than the 1104/0929 shocks. It helps cushion an impact (high compression), but the light rebound makes the car feel somewhat floaty.​

From my own personal experiences:
Many years ago, my x and I each had a 9C1.
Mine had 7B3 shocks and a few [email protected]$$ Performance Mods. Hers had the 8X3, and no other mods.
The worse the road, the harder it was for the 7B3 to keep up with the 8X3, regardless of who was driving which.
Quite often the 8X3 could get well ahead of the 7B3, especially in bumpy turns. The better the road, the less distance between us.

·
Registered
556 Posts
GM was caught between a rock and a hard place. The consensus of lots of Police Departments was GM needed the 9C1 cars to be more compliant over rough roads and be able to jump curbs (who knows why) so the first thought was put in softer springs. No good said the PD's; we load hundreds of extra pounds into our cars and with soft springs, they bottom out right quick. So the goofy compression on 9C1 DeCarbons led to the goofy compression and rebound on the Bilsteins.
The only shock for any car Bilstein made like that because it's goofy. If you live with bombed out roads, softer springs and 1104/0929's are a much better way to go. For ride, handling and braking that is.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Not to contradict Marky either, but at least for the 91-96s, the 7B3 was the 'SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SPECIAL HANDLING ' package. It may have been synonymous with Bilstein's for the earlier 90 and older caprices but have not found actual confirmation it being either way.
While the 8X3 explicitly says SHOCK ABSORBERS, FRT & RR, GAS PRELOADED, BILSTEIN 32MM

So, ask for the 1104/0926 by number if that's how you want to go. A 7B3 option on the delco site will get you a 'plain jane' shock. Which I did as that's what i was interested in trying. Although now, the replacements are just relabeled Gabriels. I even got the 8X3 shocks which are same as Gabriel Max Control Monotube shocks. I have yet to put them in, but suspect they match neither bilstein original valving.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bilstein commented that the 1516/1517 shocks are one of the only ones they have done where the compression rate is higher than the rebound. This does give them more of a "built-in float" than the 1104/0929 shocks. It helps cushion an impact (high compression), but the light rebound makes the car feel somewhat floaty.
Another reason you don't want any B-body shock from GM/Delco or Gabriel is they all carry over the "light rebound" so brake dive is much more pronounced than it should be. The Gabriel Air Shocks are the worst. The 1104/0929 shocks more aggressive rebound control reduces acceleration squat in the rear (the front shocks resist the front end rising) and the rear shocks reduces the brake dive ( the rear shocks resist the rear end rising.) For as much as double the rebound control in the rear, you would need Koni's adjusted to full hard.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Although now, the replacements [for Bilstein 8X3, 1516 / 1517] are just relabeled Gabriels. I even got the 8X3 shocks which are same as Gabriel Max Control Monotube shocks. I have yet to put them in, but suspect they match neither bilstein original valving.
If true, then it looks like I need something else …

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If true, then it looks like I need something else …
That's only for the recommended Delco replacements on the Delco site. Bilstein brand are still same Bilsteins. And to clarify, the 'plain jane' were still the stiffer valved police variant.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts