Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power antenna on my '95 SS doesn't work very well, and I'd like to swap it out for a fixed antenna like on a Caprice. Does anyone have some advice on how to go about this swap? I imagine I need to grab an antenna and antenna base off a Caprice, do I need anything else?

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Its tricky getting the old power ant. out of there. Search for info here on how to "replace antenna" and you will find some instructions how to do this.

Once removed, you should be able to just remove a fixed mast from a donor car and once you go to remove that, it will be obvious which parts to get. It should just be the mast, fender bezel and whatever HW used to attach to fender. The antenna lead is the same.

Here's one thread on how to remove.....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=298153&highlight=Antenna+remove

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the antenna base attach to the fender? If I find a Caprice in a junkyard how easy can I take it off?

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
How does the antenna base attach to the fender? If I find a Caprice in a junkyard how easy can I take it off?
IIRC - There is just a nut and bracket on the underside of the fender that holds the mount to the fender.

Again, it should be pretty obvious once you see the car. Its really not that complicated and easy to remove the fixed mast unit reaching inside the fender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I was just curious what all is involved in taking it off the donor car so I know what tools to bring to the junkyard.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Sorry, don't remember what size that is. But I would think if you can get a large adjustable in there, that may be all you need to loosen the nut.

When I hit the yards I try to take as many of my tools with me that will fit in the tool box. I usually load it up with so many tools I walk with a lean when going thru the yard. :). You never know what else you may find and wish you brought other tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished doing this swap. Found a '94 9C1 at the junkyard and got the antenna base and also took the fuel bib. Had to take the bolts out of the fender liner and pry it back to get the antenna out, wasn't too bad, was kind of a pain in the ass getting it lined back up on my car though.

Was kind of sad seeing an LT1 9C1 sitting in the yard, it was pretty complete... most all the interior was left, still had the engine, suspension, everything was there. Would make a nice Lemons car!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
The fixed antenna base nuts are often deteriorated. You have to use a screwdriver and hammer to turn the "nut" counterclockwise on the fender. I have a decent one for $15 shipped if you are interested. If you send me your old electric one, I will exchange mine for yours...you pay the postage on yours, and I pay the postage on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer Fred. I did manage to get the old antenna hardware off the donor car, so the swap is already done. I threw my old power antenna in the garbage, the mast was probably no good anyway, and I didn't feel like screwing with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts