Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys, I am wondering if I can swap out the 153 externally balanced flexplate to a 168 external?I need the dual bolt pattern.Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,but
You will also have to change to a compatible starter.
The 153 tooth (12 3/4" dia.) uses the straight across bolt pattern for the starter nose.
The 168 tooth (14" dia.) uses tthe starter nose with offset bolt holes.
LT1 starters interchange with all other small blocks 90º v-6's and even big blocks.The main concern would be exhaust clearance. Some aftermarket starters have both bolt patterns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have to replace the starter like dggmwgn said. I just put a new 168 tooth flexplate in my 92 Chevy pickup and the bolt pattern was not offset. Slid the trans back and the flexplate fell out all by itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I might be able to shim the starter and make it work.It looks like to much trouble and money.I guess I am back to square one.Thanks guys!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 95dggmwgn:
Yes,but
You will also have to change to a compatible starter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see this causing a problem with a '94-'96 B-body. The '91-'93s used a 168-tooth flexplate with the larger starter, but also had a removable frame brace for starter access. The LT1 cars have a welded brace, which might cause a problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought LT1s were externally balanced, if so you will need the right weight on the flex plate. If I am wrong and you just need the flexplate as a repair not a mod of some sort I have one from my L99 but that will only work if the LT1 is internally balanced otherwise my spare will cause the engine to be out of balance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All smallblocks since 1987 are externally balanced. I imagine it has something to do with the one-piece rear main seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.