Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worh the time and money to swap for the 503? I have stock heads and 1.6 rr, with the CM springs. What could I expect fom the swap?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't think it's a worthwhile swap.
You'll definitely move your torque and power lower in the rpm band, but I expect you wouldn't see any drop in your peak horsepower number since you're running stock heads.
The 503 is a slightly better choice for stock heads, but I would not go through the time and expense since you already have a very good cam in there.
My recommendation is to concentrate your efforts on fine tuning the hotcam. Talk to Mike (Mike454SS) and Bryan Herter (at PCMFORLESS) for tips on this.
If you really want more off-the-line performance, your money would be much better spent on a 9 or 10 inch converter with at least 3000 stall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by BowtieNut1:
I don't think it's a worthwhile swap....
Having had both cams (actually a custom gind 224/230 cam)....I would agree with Pat. I'd hold off on the 503 cam for now and re-consider it when it's time for a rebuild....or maybe go with something bigger when you're ready to do significant modding/upgrading....

NOTE: I'm assuming your cam swap will not be a DIY job.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, you assume wrong. I actually installed my cam myself, which actually took less time to do than installing the afterburners. Thanks for the input, I think I will hold off for now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If YOU are happy with the HOT cam's power curve, I'd say keep it at this point in your modding. If you want a different power curve, then look at a different cam. HOT cam can be a bit rev happy, but like Pat pointed out, fine tuning it will make the car a lot nicer overall and give excellent power...it sacrifices a little low end grunt over other cams, but in my opinion, it more than makes up for that with it's top end fun and awesome highway power, and with enough work in the PCM, you give up a lot less torque than a lot of people would lead you to believe. My personal motto is make power with the engine, make low end torque with the drivetrain...makes the car a lot more pleasing to drive, at least for the way I want the car to move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been considering the 503 myself... I believe that it will offer the extra grunt that I need in order to run consistent high 12's NA... But that plan has been set aside for my current N2O project...

What is your current E.T. and MPH? You are currently running a 2400 stall converter, so if you are just looking for a quick E.T. then you should consider changing the converter. I'd go for atleast a 3000. I noticed no difference in driveability in switching from a 2600 to a 3000, and I'm sure you will like it. The EDGE converters seem to be the hot ticket right now with the higher STR's that they are integrating into them. They are great for street driving.

SO, what is your goal here?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My time were bad last yaer. 14.2 and 2.2 60 times, but ,I was running through stock exhaust and stock manifolds. Since the new exhaust is on along with the 52mm tb. I want to get back to the track this year if there is a get together going on. A better tc is on my list also. This is not a daily driver any more. Goals? To kick some a$$. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I like the 502. Have it in with stock heads and the throttle response is great. The hot cam is to reve happy as said before. I don’t go to the track that much and wanted a street cam with grunt. It may fall on its face at higher RPM's but I rarely get there. The hot cam is really for the Camaros and vetts not for a 4000lb+ boat we drive.

dump truck cam = grunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by BishopSS95:
The hot cam is to reve happy as said before. I don’t go to the track that much and wanted a street cam with grunt. It may fall on its face at higher RPM's but I rarely get there. The hot cam is really for the Camaros and vetts not for a 4000lb+ boat we drive.
I didn't mean it is "too" rev happy...it just likes to rev. As for the cam not being for our cars...properly matched to the right drivetrain combo, the hot cam and stock heads with good valvesprings and 1.6 roller rockers is a very very nice cam. My car will obliterate the tires anywhere in first gear, from a 5 mph or 25 mph roll it will put them up in smoke, it will rev very strongly to well over 6000 RPM and then when I shift, my T56 will yank the motor back down to 4500 or higher RPM depending where I shifted it (if I run right up to 6500 I think I go back to 4900-5000 on most shifts)...thus my drivetrain keeps the cam right in it's sweet spot. On an exceptionally sticky day on the street I wish for a bit more low end torque from oh say idle to 1500 maybe 1800 RPM, but the car more than makes up for it 50 feet down the road when the tach has climbed above 2000-2500 RPM...it's all in the tuning...the HOT cam, 1.6 roller rockers, good valve springs, and a catback exhaust was good for 6 MPH added to my trap speeds at the track and a little over half a second off the ET...through stock manifolds and with no drivetrain changes. The drivetrain is different now, and I can't hook, so if I ever do, I'll see what that was worth for the ET.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Crumster:
So the extra duration and lift would do little for my combination? 224 and 230 eh.
Well....since you will DIY, the 503 cam would probably be worthwhile but for most guys, that particular cam upgrade probably isn't worth the labor costs.

Since your beaSSt will not longer be a daily driver and will be dedicated more to the kicking of a$$....you might want to consider the CC 230/236 XE cam. Several guys on the Forum are making really good power with that cam....and it's still tame (barely
) enough for the street. Another candidate is the CC 306...230/244 duration and .544"/.576" lift with 1.6 RRs.....pretty knarly for a stock bottom end.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hum, 230-236, the stock heads would support that? I dont really know but, after the 373 were installed I said to myself, should have went with 4.11"s. After the 2400 stall, again I was talking to myself, should of went 3000 stall, then the cam, should of went bigger. I did research this combo and thought thats what I wanted. It"s to dam costly to keep up with myself. I thnk i"ll just ignore myself. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Crumster:
Hum, 230-236, the stock heads would support that?....
Do a search for that cam and member #3789. Garrett (Not A Cop) is one that immediately comes to mind....and he seems to be quite happy will it as a daily driver too

KW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.