Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Swapping the digital cluster for autometers . . .

668 views 13 replies 0 participants last post by  CustomCaddys 
G
#1 ·
Anybody ditched their digital cluster for a set of aftermarket gauges? You'd have to fabricate some sort of brackets and a faceplate, and I'm sure the wiring would be a PITA. It would look real cool if you had a regular speedo sitting next to a tach in there, and have three gauges in the a pillar.

Post some pics if you've done this.

G
#2 ·
It could be done, I've seen it done in an impala. I guess the biggest obstacle would be the logistics of it. Figuring out speed sensor signal for the speedo and the fuel sender signal for a gas gauge. I think everything else would be easy to figure out. I sheet of ABS plastic would do the trick for mounting the gauges and the original trim bezel to got over it would give it a finished look...

G
#6 ·
Yeah I kinda Like mine too... What I was thimk of doimg is add another didgital readout inside the oem cluster for my digital boost gauge boost gauge or taking my rpm one apart and putting that one inside the cluster and placing the boost gauge in my a pillar pod... I'll figure something out....

G
#7 ·
i'm actually getting ready to design a sheet-metal dash for everything because i just removed mine along with all the heater/AC/blower junk...
i know the right book would tell me which wire is which, i didn't really think it would be worth the hassle. i was almost thinking of just re-mounting the original cluster.

heater control box is going way up against the firewall because the Only thing i'll ever use it for, is checking codes. and the traction button is tied in with the cluster(theres another post about how i set the tracion default to off)

so all thats left for the new dash is 5" autometer/shiftlight, trunk button, digi cluster and the headlight/dimmer switch. then i have room for all those extras, no more "idiot-lights"!

G
#13 ·
Originally posted by FASSTWOOD:
My check engine light is on too. So I opened the hood to check it, and it was still there... HMMMM... :D
worthless CEL light on that truck of mine. it's MAP sensor related. I replaced with new one. Now light goes off under load. Wondering if ECU doesnt like the lessened load at lower TPS, from not having to drive mechanical fan, not having to drive AC compressor, no exhaust but muffler, etc. Darn FORD!!

G
#14 ·
ahh man... sorry matt my fault.

i forgot i actually have to Tell people online... they can't See i'm nuts.

i'm thinking of rear mounting the cluster, I think it's do-able but i gotta see it all together to really know.

Man is the display crisp without the green lense, i kinda like it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.