Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys redoing my 21 year old suspension just got some new bilsteins sports 1104 and 0092 from summit, Now I need some opinions on sway bars because im Confused on which ones would be the stiffest there are Hotchkis, BMR, and hellwig, anyone know which ones are going to make the car stiffest? The thing I'm confused about is if the sway bar diameter is thicker does that mean they are also going to make the handling a little stiffer? is this a better thing? I see Bmr sway bars are a little bit thicker than the hotchkis ones, not sure about the hellwigg ones, any advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone I apologize Im new to suspension knowledge.:grin2:

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I use/recommend Hotchkis bars. Stiffness is better to a point,and then works against one very quickly. With poorer traction,and very harsh ride the most common complaints. Hotchkis makes very good suspension components for these cars especially...

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
......Now I need some opinions on sway bars because im Confused on which ones would be the stiffest there are Hotchkis, BMR, and hellwig, anyone know which ones are going to make the car stiffest?.....
If 'stiffness' was the only thing that was important in a swaybar, all the companies you named would be able to get your there. But what you really want is stiffness to a point where handling is improved but NOT to the point where your car feels like it won't steer 'true'.

I've had Hotchkis on my car '96 since 1999.....and Hellwigs were on my '95 when I bought it.

I like the Hotchkis a bit better for 'street' driving.

KW

·
Registered
190 Posts
On a daily driver you can beat the BMR sway bars. I redid my 96 BBB suspension a few months ago with KYB shocks and Moog suspension parts. I added the BMR sway bar, cause my factory one was bent. I chose BMR, they are fairly cheap, great improvement and not to stiff in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
I use/recommend Hotchkis bars. Stiffness is better to a point,and then works against one very quickly. With poorer traction,and very harsh ride the most common complaints. Hotchkis makes very good suspension components for these cars especially...
^^^^+1

OP, consider getting the "sway bar brace" also....GP going on now.

Hotchkis bar with the F-Body Pro Touring brace

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^+1

OP, consider getting the "sway bar brace" also....GP going on now.

Hotchkis bar with the F-Body Pro Touring brace
Yeah I see this Fbody brace on the front of the forum everyone been putting on, was also wondering if that would work if I choose to go with a BMR sway bar because its a little bit more affordable.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't,as the mounting points are the same...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts