Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i tried to replcae my sway bar end links, the old ones are way past there time and i cannot break them loose, i have used pb blast and it still wont come loose, what do you recommend i do? I also was wondering if i can change them while the car is on the ground with the wheels turned all the way while i do one at a time?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just force it till the nut snaps off with the bolt breaking in two, or hacksaw through the center section. And yes you can change them on the ground or up in the air just have both wheels doing the same and they'll be no problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so are you saying that i have to have the wheels straight when i do it or just make sure that if i turn the wheel all the way to the left to do the drivers side that i turn the wheels all the way to the right to do the passengers side

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really it would be easier and safer if you jack the car up because turning the wheels to one side or the other kinda puts an unequal load in the suspension to one side which is what you don't want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can reinstall them loosely with the wheels any way. However, to get the bar properly preloaded AND not in a bind you should do final torque on the endlinks (15-18 ft-lbs, BTW) with the weight on the front suspension and wheels pointed straight ahead.

Personally, I'd just throw the car on a set of Rhino ramps and do all the work there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got the old ones off, but now it seems like the new ones from energy suspension are not long enough the sleeve length is 2" and the product # is 9.8123G, is this the right set

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also i know it says to tighten to 18 ft lb, but i dont have a torque wrench, what can i look for when tightening to tell me that its tightened enough

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Compair the new ones with the old ones to see if they are the right length. If not, get the right ones. Most auto parts stores have a wide selection of lengths.

Without a torque wrench, tighten the nuts until the bushings bulge just slightly, and that should be just about right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.