Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Sway bar endlinks

378 views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  94capclass 
G
#1 ·
While installing my new ZQ8 bumpstops (easy), I started playing with the swaybar endlinks. I have a stock swaybar. I noticed that I could rotate the passenger side endlink from the top and the bottom of the bolt. I could rotate the center tube on the driver side. I think it's time to replace the swaybar endlinks and bushings. Should I expect a big difference in cornering if I use the Energy Suspension swaybar components on a stock bar?

G
#2 ·
I've noticed no difference. Then again, one of mine had been snapped off for a few months before I replaced them with the Energy Suspension ones, so it's a bit hard to remember how it cornered before!

G
#4 ·
You will feel a noticeable difference[less lean in corners], with ES Polyurethane Bushings.
And buy the Black, impregnated with graphite = inhibits squeaking.

:eek: Remember: Final tightening should be with vehicle at ride height; full weight of vehicle on suspension.
Crawl under there, & ONLY tighten Bushings until they just start to bulge. :eek:

[ 08-17-2006, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: LarryCigar ]

G
#5 ·
I'm search impaired...What's the best way to R&R the front swaybar bushings and endlinks? I have the feeling I need a torque wrench and loctite for this.

[ 08-17-2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: 94capclass ]

G
#6 ·
Originally posted by LarryCigar:
You will feel a noticeable difference[less lean in corners], with ES Polyurethane Bushings.
And buy the Black, impregnated with graphite = inhibits squeaking.
I don't disagree with Larry very often. But... I don't think most people would say that there is a "noticeable difference" in the handling if all you are changing are the endlinks. They are better (stiffer) parts and will take out some slop... but I think you would have to be very "in tune" with your car to tell the difference.

On the other hand... if you do the endlinks along with other parts (swaybar bushings, control arm bushings, etc)... You will find that the "sum of the parts is greater than the whole."

G
#7 ·
I would replace the endlinks and frame bushings at the same time. The front end rebuild is slated for next Spring. Alternatively, I could just buy the Hotchkis Sways and only put the front on until I get the trailing arms done. I'd rather save some money for right now though.

[ 08-17-2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: 94capclass ]

G
#9 ·
If you plan to buy the Hotchkis parts later... I would just wait. Since their bar comes with endlinks and mounts you wouldn't get much of a return on your investment if you bought those parts now.

G
#11 ·
So I'll save the small amount and wait for the better parts. I think it may be the source of my creaking sound during right turns and hard braking. I've heard about the springs doing that also.

[ 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: 94capclass ]

G
#12 ·
The stock front bar is 30mm, the Hotchkis bar is around 36.5mm (1 7/16"). I think I'll hold out for the much thicker bar. Even the rear is close to 35mm (1 3/8"). Those will take the lean out as long as my body bushings are in good condition.

[ 08-19-2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: 94capclass ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.