Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you participated in the wagon bar GP that ran for a period of time in late 2009 with a few stragglers into 2010.

I've had several inquiries recently about the availability of sway bars from this source.

In order to run another GP, a minimum of 5 bars must be produced in any of the configurations that were offered--read through the link above (from the original GP) for specific bar choices, and if interested PLEASE contact me via PM or e-mail, even if you also post here.

This is an open-ended solicitation that I'll let run for 45 days (to the end of April, basically) or until enough interest is shown to take orders and get a run of bars made.

Pricing is not set or guaranteed - not tied in any way to the previous GP, so do not think that the pricing will be the same (though it may be in the end).

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott, thanks, and if you don't mind, please PM or e-mail me too indicating your interest, including some idea of what you may be interested in--rear only or front & rear.

I will ask for an estimated current price, but I really do not think it will be significantly changed from the previous GP. That info will be posted in an update once I get it.

For now, assume "same price", but this thread is mainly to establish viability to run the GP.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bill how many bars were made the last time? If I remember right they are a total custom bend and are not in Hellwig's catalog right?

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neil,

The bars are custom-spec "private label", not in the regular Hellwig inventory/catalog, correct.

I don't remember what the exact quantities were previously--some the supplier had on hand, and then we had enough demand to have them get more, but I do recall that the added run had to be a minimum of 5 of a specific type, as it is now.

My concern now is whether the Super Bar will even be available, as I recall saying/writing or being told that those would not be run again, but I can't find the statement to that effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in!

Oh and greetings everyone! Just joined...

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not necessarily--but the requests so far had been from wagon owners.

Sedans would be under the same "rules" - minimum of 5 bars of a specific size/application.

Front bars fit both sedan & wagon, so no issues with them.

What were you interested in? I would have to do the research to be sure what was available--should be several choices.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Unsolicited testamonial:

I was extremely happy with the 1-5/16" rear sway bar. I added the rear sway bar, fully boxed lower control arms, and an SS front sway bar at the same time, so I don't know how much each component improved the ride. But end result was great!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have to say I love mine. Its a real shocker to most people to see a 1.5 inch rear bar. I have also jacked up one side of the car and had the other side raise up trying to keep the car level. I am doing an event in less than 3 weeks so I hope to use it all out on the track.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Squirrel Cutter Sway Bar

Ditto Nick's words - every man's wagon needs a 'Squirrel Cutter' sway bar in back!

"He boldly approaches the street gutter, tail twitching like a lightning bolt. A rolling Black Hole built by GM in 95 powers up the subdivision hill; 5.7L warming up nicely."

Squirrel pausing at the gutter smells a female in heat across the street - testosterone takes over and he bolts! No-brainer! HorMoans!

The tree rat streaks out from the gutter and across the street in front of the Beasty Longroof - still with NUTS of the non-edible type and the use thereof on his mind. Then he disappears from the field of view before me.

Wait for it......... THUNK!

Rear view mirror scene = epileptic furball convulsing on the asphalt!!!!

Squirrel cutter: 6 - Squirrels: 0

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

So far, it looks like there are enough hits to do the wagon rear "Super Bar".

A couple of maybes have not indicated what rear bar they would be interested in, so please PM or e-mail me with more specifics--not a commitment, just an expression of interest and clarification of what you want to see if the minimum numbers can be achieved before actually ordering bars.

All front bars will be 1-3/8" (1.375") - need a few more commits to run the minimum of 5. This bar is for ALL B-body & D-body applications.

If there are people looking for a rear sedan bar, they can be added to this GP - 1-5/16" (1.3125") or "Super" size - 1.5" - let me know what you're after!

Pricing info is still pending, but I think it'll be at or near same as the last GP.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I actually only need a front bar for my wagon. Is this doable?

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vince, we'll throw that into the mix--so far there are only a couple of inquiries for sedan-specific rear bars, so it remains to be seen whether it DOES happen.

I'm working on an update for all who have expressed interest now, should post by this evening.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The minimum targets for the GP are as follows (prices are for US 48-state delivery):

8194 Front bar - 1.375" (1-3/8") 9 bars minimum

$229 plus $40 shipping

8196 Rear Wagon bar - 1.3125" (1-5/16") 5 bars minimum

$239 plus $40 shipping

8197 Rear Wagon Super bar - 1.50" 6 bars minimum

$239 plus shipping approx $40

8193 Rear Sedan bar - 1.3125" (1-5/16") 6 bars minimum

$239 plus $40 shipping

The front rear combo "special" is $499 for both bars delivered. That’s $50 off the price of F/R bars ordered individually.

The manufacturer has set the minimum order number for each bar--beyond our control.

Lead time for delivery is about 2 weeks after receipt of order to seller, then another 10-14 days to receive and ship to customer--up to 28 days from the time the order finally goes in.

Shipping to Canada is possible, involves added delivery cost--case by case basis.

It is not certain yet whether the sedan Super (rear) bar will be available.

Current GP bar counts (pending individual confirmation):

6 front bars (9 minimum needed)
6 wagon Super bars (6 minimum needed)
1 sedan Super bar (6 minimum needed) - may not be produced for this GP
0 wagon standard (rear) bar (5 minimum needed)
0 sedan standard (rear) bar (6 minimum needed)

Wagon Super bars are ready to order at minimum now. I'll advise when ready to accept orders and further details, assuming pricing meets expectations. If a combination is being considered, realize it may be necessary for the order to be held until the minimum order for front bars is met.

For those initially responding with desire to be in the GP, please advise by PM or e-mail if you are still in or out, based on the pricing now posted. Be aware that if using PayPal, there will be a 4% fee added.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it, Ken, thanks....for everyone who has been PM'ing me, I'm traveling tomorrow, and will try to respond as quickly as possible, but may not be in a position to cover every inquiry before Sunday.

Hang in there with me--numbers are looking good for front bars and Super wagon bars already. Not sure if there will be enough to make the smaller wagon (rear) bar or sedan rear bars, and sedan Super (rear) bars are an unknown at the moment.

I hope to provide good info for everyone by the weekend/first of week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts