Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this? Every so often when it rains, I get a pool of water behind my front passenger seat on the floor. There is no trail to follow to pin point where the water is coming from, looks almost as if someone took a pitcher of water and poured it on the floor.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You have to be a better Indian Scout, or Boy Scout, or whatever. There is a trail. It might involve some parts removal to find - seats, carpet, trim panels, etc. Or sit back there and have a helper douse your car with a hose from all angles. Which side of the footwell is wet? That might lead to the direction of the leak. The interior trim panel for the moonroof is easy to remove - just pull straight down, held by clips. Back seat is easy to remove - see wagon question sticky in this forum section. Better check your spare tire well and rear driver side also.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Usually it comes from the front. The rear footwell is lower than the front footwell. Water often comes in the AC/heat duct, and if enough comes in, it will spill over into the rear footwell. There are other paths as well, but that is the most common. Check the front carpet for water as well.

You may have a clogged drain hole somewhere as well. Any water that gets into the car, has to get out of the car, and if its usual path is blocked, it will find another.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
You may also be getting a water leak down the B-pillar. Had that happen to my RMW. I never figured out exactly what's causing it, but if I park uphill and leaning to the right, it doesn't leak. And there are enough parking spots like that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem this year. Like an inch or more of water in the pass side rear floor. Turned out to be a rust hole in the front side of the rear wheel well. Right where the carpet ends in the corner of the floor under the seat bottom. I dug it out with a screwdriver and caulked it really good with roofing tar in a quart can. Used a putty knife to spread it. That stuff is awesome, it has long hairs of fiberglass in it and fills huge holes really well. No more water !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts