Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's this setup sound (from Ikesound.com)?

Pioneer DEH-P77DH.....$200
Kenwood KFC-6907 6x9's.....$81
MB Quart DSC-216 Seperates.....$129
Kicker Comp C10 Subs (2).....$110 (or Ebay special)
RF Punch 700X 87.5Wx4.....$235 (is this power overkill for the Kenwoods and MB?)
RF Power 451S 115Wx2.....$185

Is anything i have really overkill (price and power wise)? I want quality sound (not necessarily loud) for a budget. I still have yet to get the trunk kit, brown bread and wire.

Now, general questions to get me in the ballpark:

1) What length wire would i need to run from the battery to the trunk?

2) Would 35 sqft of brown bread be enough to cover all 4 doors, the rear wheel wells, and behind the rear seat? I'd rather not get more than i need b/c it is pricey.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I'm finalizing my shopping list need to get some comments on my list.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't help to answer your questions, but if you are interested, I have a Pioneer DEH-P77DH with steering wheel remote (about 1.5 years old) and a brand new Pioneer cellular mute interface (mutes the radio or pauses the CD when you have an incoming or outgoing call). If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $250 shipped. The steering wheel remote or the mute interface by themselves would make up the $50 difference. Let me know.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that amp is way overkill for those kenwoods and mb quarts. fosgate actually underates their amps and that one will actually put out about 100rms per channel. I personally like fosgate. I would go with the
fnx2614 (139)
frc3369 (69)
power 551x (249) (it actually puts out about 80 rms per channel) i just got mine and it puts out just a tad over. the sub and sub amp should be good.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not familiar with the MB Quarts you are asking about, but if they are as good as I've heard, I don't think the RF amp would be too much. I had a JL amp rated at 75 watts per channel, running Polk audio 6x9 and 4" speakers. My setup, at least, was not what I would call overkill at all. Plus, I believe that you are safer running a little too much power to speakers than too little. Just my .02

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well i dropped the 2 amp setup. Just gonna go with 5ch to make life a whole lot easier for me. I have little information about these amps. Anyone know about them?

1) MTX Thunder 895

2) Alpine MRV-F450 Mucho cheaper than MTX

Both RMS values seem relatively low at 12V. Why are 14.4V ratings even used? Oh yeah, will Kicker C10's handle 2 ohm? Finally, can just the subs run 2 ohm while everything else runs 4 (amp safe)? Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i would go with the mtx. yes you can have the speakers at 4 ohms and the subs at 2 ohm. and to answer your first question about wire length, it depends where you mount it and how you route it, but 25 ft should be enough (it will leave you some room to move it around)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a suggestion, but every Pioneer sub I have heard (and we have 2 12's in my fiancee's car), I have absolutle loved. Just something to check into. Until recently, I have had both 3 10" MTX and later 3 12" MTX subs. They were both a great setup, but I still like the Pioneer subs better. Just mu .02

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, after looking at the Alpine amp, the 4 channel ratings seem okay, but 150 Watts for 2 subs, 75 watts to each sub wouln't be enough (in my humble opinion). The subs are rated at 250-300 watts each. As a side note, you can get the subs a little cheaper ($101.99)here. If I'm not mistaken CMT trading is also an eBay seller. For an amp, I'd get a 5 channel, as you planned, but with higher RMS ratings. With the way yo want to run your set-up, with Alpine, your subs would only get about 75 watts each and your speakers would get about 50 each. With the MTX amp, you'd get around 160 to each sub, but only 35 to each speaker. It seems that you are trying to get the best possible 5 channel amp for between $300 and $400. The Kicker KX700.5 sells for around $300, and you'd get 200 to each sub, and about 40 watts to the other speakers. You can check out that deal here Sorry for the long post. -Amanda

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found that Kicker amp a little cheaper, even still, on eBay here

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amanda, I had already ordered the head unit when i made my first post. But thank you for the info.
And also for that Kicker amp, it may be the bread winner for me

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, i gotta bring this back now. Sorry. I was looking at a better, Planet Audio, amp but it's dimensions won't let it fit in the trunk!
I tried to judge how large the trunk panels from the trunk kit are and taking measurements in my trunk. It seems there's only 20" of usable room on/in them. I don't have a jigsaw or a garage so i can't make my own board for it. :( Would anyone with the kit let me know if an amp that's 19-1/2" long and 11-3/4" wide would fit?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those DSC Quart speakers are the bottom of the line. Why not spend the extra forty bucks or so and get the reference or (preferably) the psd series? I would rather have just the PSD quarts up front and no 6x9 then the discus 6x9 combo. With the comp 10s you won't need the 6x9s anyway. As far as the amp goes on the DSC quarts 100 a side is deffinately pushing it but the PSDs will take pretty much whatever watts you are willing to give them. I am running two kicker comps 10s and quart PSDs right now so I am biased but this is a killer set up and I recommend it.

As far as prices the kicker comps can be had for about half that brand new on ebay. I also think that your amps are too big. Each ten will only take about 125 watts max (rms). So I wouldn't buy an amp bigger than one that bridges to 1x250 at whatever impedance you are wiring your subs for. The quarts would be happy with a 2x80 or 2x100 amp. The 4x87.5 RF could easily push your whole system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts