Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like aftermarket replacement syncro hub (top) has the slider key ways cut slightly off tooth center. The appears to have side loaded the billet keys when trying to speed up the input to match the output. Which manifests as can up shift to third from second or even 1st but cannot down shift to 3rd from any gear. Total milage is about 4k on this rebuild. Failure showed up in the 1st 1k.

My plan is to order another set of keys and springs, a new snap rings kit for insurance and throw this back together with the new aftermarket outer for the dogs and the original BW inner.

-Brian

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset

White Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear

Reactions: Caddylack

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct springs were positioned to press on all 3. All three keys are off center in the same direction, like the whole tool was clocked at the time of cutting. It took me a long time to get a good photo of the keyway cut but it seems more apparent in person. My repeated jamming and finishing power tour on it has lead me to also throw in another 3rd gear syncro ring as the teeth on the new one from the rebuild are certainly showing signs of wear. I think that may also be where the marks on the keys comes from.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That impression matches exactly with the side of the keyway in the syncro ring. Again as the teeth line up the keyway of the syncro ring doesn't line up with the keyway of the hub.

-Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts