Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
new stick car "hill assist', IIRC, is a brake apply which releases once car moves forward

The Ram and McLeod "DF" (dual friction) clutches are both prone to chatter and less forgiving on slipping which is needed to "hold" a B body on a hill vs a full face organic clutch.

I only make about 400/410 RWHP/TQ in my SS and have killed more single disc clutches than I can count, mostly due to drag racing, but in hind sight I should have gone with the McLeod Street Twin from day 1 with my 383. When I had just a H/C 350 making 350 rwhp the stock Valeo was fine and drove smoother than silk on engagement

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hyundai makes the most idiot-proof clutches IMO. I cut my teeth on an Elantra many years ago. LOL! What ever clutch material they use makes it super forgiving. I remember it having full pedal travel... and was surprised when I found cars that only had like 1/4 travel before full engagement. Of course you won't be driving an Elantra at the track. Again this goes back to application.

Maybe just get a stock (GM factory spec) F-Body clutch and be done with it.

That's what my friend did with his 3000GT. Ditched the fancy-pants titanium-flake-semimetallic-this-that clutch that was great at the track for speed shifting, and just went with a good daily driver clutch. That's what the old muscle cars had anyways.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I'll probably run the twin street setup from McLeod next or a stock f body clutch as most here say they've had good results.

As for next time that'll only be when I run this clutch into the ground

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another side note, on my friend's T56 Impala, he used one of the original "BigFastCar" swap kits from 20 years ago.

Holy smokes, the website is still active:

I can't remember if they included the clutch or if he bought one independently. But I do recall it was a Centerforce clutch. I believe it was for a F-body. It shifted well. Until he beat it at the track and the clutch exploded. LOL. I remember him exchanging emails with Centerforce, and them telling him that should never happen. These are heavy cars. As we've alluded, I think you will need a compromise if you want nice manners.

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I ran stock Fbody for years until I performed a push conversion.

-Brian

21 - 25 of 25 Posts