Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in thinking that to convert my existing LT1 T56 over to an LSx configuration, I only have to replace the bellhousing, adapter and input shaft?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bruce, I bought my t56 from D&D performance. At the time, they converted an LSx for me to use with my LT1.

They said the only thing they needed to change for the conversion was the bellhousing, midplate, and input shaft. So, to convert the other way, you would just need to change these three items.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
If you want to change over without going into the case there may be an approx. $450 Quicktime or McLeod adapter/bellhousing application. It may allow you to retain your existing puller slave cyl. configuration too, - or not. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Bruce, I bought my t56 from D&D performance. At the time, they converted an LSx for me to use with my LT1.

They said the only thing they needed to change for the conversion was the bellhousing, midplate, and input shaft. So, to convert the other way, you would just need to change these three items.
That is what I was told.

If you want to change over without going into the case there may be an approx. $450 Quicktime or McLeod adapter/bellhousing application. It may allow you to retain your existing puller slave cyl. configuration too, - or not. Just a thought.
But with this setup wouldn't you have to use that funky pilot bearing that is like 2 inches long or something, I am going on memory here but I remember something like that.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts

But with this setup wouldn't you have to use that funky pilot bearing that is like 2 inches long or something, I am going on memory here but I remember something like that.
That's the "-or not" part of my comment. But if you're able to find a properly configured adapter bellhousing from either of those two suppliers and keep the LT- style trans faceplate and input shaft, then I don't see why you could not reuse the LT- puller style slave cyl. as well.

FWIW, there's livid debate by fellas who much prefer the 'funky' LS- pusher style throwout bearing over the LT- setup.

Pics of both types of tranny faceplates - just to confuse the issue further.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.