Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
When I did my 94 I moved the console back about an inch or so and used the shift boot from the 94 Trans Am that sacrificed it's T56 for me.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
pics of a 96 console with BBHP insert.

The link for the inserts (not BBHP) in my other post would work but you need to cut the hole for boot of choice. Mine is a 97 Vette GM boot so you can just buy one or fab something up. I don't know if the one's in the link are metel or plastic. My BBHP is molded plastic. BBHP is long gone so unless someone wh0 has one pops up you need to either make something for insert or have a upholstry shop come up with something.

If using a 96 sonsole you need to move it 1 1/2" forward for the shifter to land where it is in my pic. All doable by just moving the hold down bracket forward and drilling two holes in bottom rear of console 1 1/2" back further than stock ones. Front ones go to where you mount the front part of the hold down bracket.

A note on the shifter handle (HURST Pro Billet shown) bolt it on the PS vs DS of shifter base so it centers better in the console

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
ballss and I have discussed this many times publicly and privately, especially since I just "finished" my swap in June. Everything he says is accurate and a good way to do it, but I will add it is not the only way to do it. It comes down to personal preference. I personally didn't like the position of the shifter location that would have required to move the console forward. I bent the stick on my shifter to move it back some, used the same plate that ballss has (but from a different supplier in the threads I posted), and left my center console on the factory location. I like the shifter stick location better farther back in the car.

OP, what swap did you do - the F2B and 94MI9C1's manual?

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Yeah Jonathan is right about personal prefrence on where you want the shifter to land. I am 6' 2" so for me having the shifter where it is on my car works. Many just use the "off set" bracket that comes with the F2B kit to put the shift handle back so console would be in it's stock position. You could make the off-set bracket pretty easy. It is just a square piece of stock with 4 holes.

Definately a few ways to do it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I forgot to mention I broke my handle right in the middle and angled it back some, then rewelded it. Otherwise it was too far forward.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I forgot to mention I broke my handle right in the middle and angled it back some, then rewelded it. Otherwise it was too far forward.
Hey darth, how's it going man? What shifter did you use with your swap? did you modify the "stock" shifter arm that came with your choice of shifter?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Other than missing my T56 car, it's all good!

That shifter came with the 6 speed. It seems to me it was a B+M, but I'm not positive. I know it wasn't a Hurst, wasn't stock.

I'm 6'1" and with the handle pointed back a bit, it was pretty much a natural fit for me with the console armrest where it was.

I miss that car..........

I've tried emailing the guy who bought it but no reply, and he only logged in here once or twice after he bought it.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmm, I wish I could remember. It's so long ago. That shifter would likely have been bought in the late 90's, if that helps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Another option,though it may sound bad, is a manual console from a dodge neon. I remember a guy back in the day using one and it looked surprising at home in there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.