Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the T56 tranny...and thats all i have!...Im having a really hard time trying to find all the other pieces i need for it!!! ...Im going to buy the F2Bkit but that only gives me the brackets....is there any place that sells a kit or something for all the other piece?!?!?! like i said i only have the transmission!, nothing else...someone help me!!!....I also checked out bigfastcar.com but i think they went out of business! they have a kit that has everything especially made for our cars and figures i cant get a hold of them!...i have a 96 caprice, and my tranny just **** the bed yesterday...took it to a tranny shop and found out that its skipping over 2nd and 3rd gear!, so i need this conversion done asap, and i picked up a rebuilt T56 for only 950 so i jumped on it, but the bad news is that he didnt have anything else to go with it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and can i use my stock drive shaft for the T56?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I replied in the other post that you put in Airmdedics thread, I see that you had started this post so you can ignore my other comment.

There is no place that sells a complete kit.

Now as far as the things that you are going to need. As I listed in the previous post in Airmedics thread, look at the sticky on the top of the drivetrain section, go to the clutch thread, this will give our recommendations as far as clutch systems go and the best bang for the buck.
Also are you sure the T56 that you have is rebuilt? Just be cautious of people selling stuff like that, I just did an installation for someone and he was told the same thing, but found out it was a 150K tranny that was on it's way out.

Now since you don't have the flywheel dust cover, F2B makes this and it is a very nice piece
You didn't mention if you have the bellhousing, clutch fork and pivot or anything like that.

The bellhousing is going to be hard to find if you don't have it, look on Ebay and maybe LS1tech for parts.

I will try to give you the best knowledge that I have for the parts that you are going to need for the swap.

What gears are in your diff in your car, factory? You can run this way but it will eat clutches up.

you are going to need to look into gears later down the road if you don't have them already as well as a driveshaft, Denny's takes about 2 weeks to get, and they are the best to get one from.

Hydraulics clutch/ master and all that can be found at RMS auto and any local parts store, look on ls1tech for used ones, etc.

Flywheel you can get new at Advanced Auto for 104 bucks out the door with no core charge.

If you don't have the clutch fork and the necessary hardware for this,
These are the GM part numbers, you will have to google them

fork-12523312 http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=12523312
bolt- 12523314 http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=12523314
t stud/net- 12523313 http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=12523313

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yes you can use your stock driveshaft, if you have the factory gears, as I mentioned above.

Have you downloaded my manual, it lists everything in there, within the next month or so I will be updating it with new information and parts numbers and such. Again the Sticky at the top of the drivetrain section is your friend.
Here is the link to my manual, my contact information is in there is I remember right.
www.linux2go.org/postings/impcapt56.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the info.!!...it has been a huge help and cleared up A TON of my questions!....as for gears right now, i do have the stock 3.08's in there right now, but i do have a set of 4.10's sitting in my room right now waiting to be put it....so like you were saying with the driveshaft, i can use my stock drive shaft with the stock gears but i will need a new one once i put my 4.10's in?...and i havent had a chance to download your manual yet, im at work right now and the computer doesnt allow for downloads, but i will deffinetly download it when i get home for sure!!!...and you said dennys has the correct driveshafts needs for this swap? thats a website?I'll check into that now....thank you again!!...you have big a huge help!! and sorry for all the mix up of the posts before, im just desprite for these parts!!

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Understood, yes Denny's website is http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/, all you would need is the factory replacement for 94-96 SS, pretty pricey, but a really nice piece. about 480 shipped I would think. No problem let me know if you need help with anything else.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You may or may not need a new driveshaft. The problem is that with 4.10 gears your driveshaft spins 1.33 times faster.

In practical terms, that means that if you cruise at 70 MPH on the highway with a set of 4.10's your driveshaft is spinning at the same RPM as it would be at 93 MPH with your current stock gears.

If you have no vibration issues at high speed with your current driveshaft, you may be OK.

I still have my original driveshaft and have no vibration issues.

Sharkx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just curious...why would i need a new drive shaft anyways? is it because its a length issue or just because our stock driveshafts arent durable enough?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
just curious...why would i need a new drive shaft anyways? is it because its a length issue or just because our stock driveshafts arent durable enough?
the stock DS was not designed for the DS RPM speeds it will see running gears lower than 3:73. The aftermarket Dennys is wider which gives more "rotational mass" which is also part of the equation. Dennys is also one of very few shops than can spin balance a DS as long as the one's in B-body to 8k rpm.

the stock DS can be balanced, sometimes better than stock, but finding a shop that can spin it at the higher RPM's will be difficult. Also the stock DS is flared at both ends which varies the thickness of metel and it is at both ends that balance in that area of the DS gets tricky.

As mentioned some owners do get away with a stock DS but the majority do not. Certainly try yours first.

The length is the same but Dennys will ask you to measure anyway to confirm. Sometimes they make them 1/4" +/- depending on your specific measurements....especially if you put on extended trailing arms..those typically require a longer DS

I have had a Dennys for years and got the one with 1350 yokes (stronger)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire, if your new-to-you T56 has been upgraded with a Viper output shaft the not only will your stock slip yoke be incorrect (too small), but the overall length of your stock shaft will be incorrect (too long). Easy to check, but still something that needs to be considered before you just buy a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys i appreciate everything! been a big help!...any other info that i should know would deff. be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
moderator comment

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but did you read all of the T56 how-to threads we already have here in the drivetrain section's sticky list? I put it at the top of the section for a reason.

This swap has been done literally hundreds of times, and many of these guys have been nice enough to post up pictures and descriptions of their entire process. But if a guy doesn't bother to read them, and just starts a new thread with questions every time he's got a question, then we might as well be a top-40 internet radio station right here in the drivetrain section.

So, if you could, please read all of the threads that are already existent. Use the search function to find answers to your questions (it's likely they've already been asked and answered). If you have questions regarding information in those threads, feel free to post up questions within those threads as it actually helps to keep the information organized.

Thank you, and now back to our regular programming...cwm4

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Maybe no one else will say it, but perfect point made perfectly Joel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anybody tried contacting clear image lately???!!!...I've been tryin to get ahold of them for the past week and have gotten nothing but voicemail with no returned calls....I need to get ahold of them because 1. They said my tips should ship by today and 2. I need that T56 crossmember they have for our cars...but deff. The crossmember more than the tips! Unless u guys know someone else that carries the crossmember for the T56 for our cars...I know I could modify our stock crossmember but I'm not the one puttin it in, and idk how much more the guy that doin it for me is goin to charge to modify the stock crossmember

1 - 18 of 18 Posts