Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the Z28 cluster install on my '96 and I'm having tachometer malfunction. I ran the wire to red 13 on the pcm and made sure it snapped in. It seems to me that the tach is not receiving the signal from the pcm. Can somebody give me an idea where to start? Is there a way to check to see if the pcm in fact is sending power to the tach or I might have a break down in the wire? Is there any other way to hook the tach up? If our cars had the standard HEI distributor,it would be a done deal,but with the optispark,I'm lost. I don't think having my pcm tuned by Brian at pcmforless would cause my tach not to work.

Help me out here guys,
Casey

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
ooh, I remember something about the '96's sending a 4 cyl tach signal. Maybe that's it. sorry I can't help you more.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The 4 cylinder tachometer issues is only with the 96 Impala SS's. The 96 Caprice's PCM tach output is a standard 8 cylinder output. If the issue was dues to that the tachometer would read double of the actual speed. I would double check to make sure you ran the wire to the correct position. It could also be a problem with the cluster itself. - Peter

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tripled checked to make sure the wire snapped into the pcm plug.

Can somebody confirm that the wire goes to Red plug #13?

Can somebody tell me how to test the tach wire to confirm the pcm is sending a signal?

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just talked with a buddy who has a multimeter with a tach reading on it. Will give it a try. I'll update when I find out more.

Thank you for all the help
Casey

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just hooked up a autometer tach in my 95 ss and it's not reading the rpm. I'm getting the rpm reading from the #13 pin on the red connector. Anyway I can test the output from the #13 pin?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Problem fixed, the connector was not pushed in all the way in the red plug..oops:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts