Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont get the whole 'beat up the n00b' attitude. i checked the search and can't find anything for info other than a tahoe bar for sale.

anyone run the tahoe rear bar? what trim/suspension package was it? is it mounted like the crown vic bar? guess thats all i got for questions.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i'd muchly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I believe the bar is from a late 90's early 2000's Tahoe. I think I remember reading that when I was doing some research for my rear sway bar. I got this pic from google.

I think it mounts this way:

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Would it not be better to mount the bar above the axle (if possible) to minimize length of end-links.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks choo. would it mount the same on our cars or like the crown vic bars the guys did on wagons.

also did it make a noticeable difference in your car compared to stock set up?

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Pictures of the rear bar on my SS - taken in 2002. Focus of these shots was not on rear bar, actually, but at least it's in the pictures. Taken by a friend before I joined the digital camera revolution.

Custom saddles were made and installed at Global West at some point in 2000--a one-off installation. Links fit VERY close to fuel tank on each side.

This is actually a Hotchkis bar for Tahoe (2000-up), but the original install used the OE Tahoe rear bar, which is back on the car now, which will be at Charlotte for ISSCA Nationals at end of month.

This specific housing is no longer in the car--swapped out in early 2004, but kept the bar setup with new saddles, which can be seen (sort of) in the 3rd photo. The original housing, with saddles still in place (in the 2 in-car pics) is now in Howard Rothstein's Impala, which will also be in Charlotte, though it uses a standard mount rear bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks. whats the extensions on your spring mounts? keep lowered springs in?

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
The car uses stock rear SS springs. The rear suspension design (trust me, it's unique) has such a high amount of travel (with shocks disconnected) that I wanted to create a better way of keeping the springs in place, so I had a couple of tubular extensions created that ensure the springs can't just fall out. They are just hammered in to the stock lower seats--which were relocated (forward) on the housing to more properly align the spring vertically with extended LCA's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts