Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 1996 and need some help getting my tail lights back. They will not work along with my dash lights and chime but the brake lights, turn signals and hazards do. I checked the fuse and it was not blown but it was not getting any power. I got a new headlight/dimmer/twilight sent. switch and still no tail lights and no power to the fuse box. The wires on the back of the fuse box are not burned or frayed in fact they look terrific. I jumped power from the radio and to the tail lamp fuse and the tail lamps, dash lights, and chime worked. So I suppose I may have a short somewhere in the wiring to that fuse. Does anyone know where I could find a wiring diagram for the tail light circuit or have an idea on another place I should look to solve this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
If you have a short, you will blow a fuse. What you have is an "open", which means that a wire is broken, or a connector is not making contact. Start from the last place you have power and check the wiring from there on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fred I did not expect an answer so quickly. Would you by chance know where the best place for me to find a wiring diagram is or possibly where I should go to look for these connectors. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
There are usually some on ebay. I saw a reference here on the forum to an on line version, but have never explored it.

The connectors can usually be cleaned if they are corroded, but you have to get under the dash to find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts