Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! I just bought a 1994 RMW. I joined the forum to research all the information that people have posted over the years. Unfortunately, the forum got erased. I'm going to have to ask all those newbie questions. So, here's my problem. When I open the tailgate to the side, the door drops with a couple of clunks. When I try to close it again, there is a lot of resistance at each clunk-point. The source of the problem seems to be the bottom left hinge. I can see the body of the hinge shifting as it pushes the spring. I looked at the Electra Estate Wagon for comparison, and the hinge action is smooth. Is there something I can lube or tighten to make it work right?

· Registered
11,643 Posts
You are probably looking at replacing the hinge. You will have to align it properly, If you can remove the hinge without taking the door all the way off, it may be easier to align. You will be getting to know your local Pick-N-Pull junk yard. If you can't pull parts, some of us are willing to do it for a fee.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
There is very extensive info in the FSM (factory service manual) on tailgate adjustments. That is the first thing I bought after I got my wagon 8 years ago. They are on ebay all the time for about $40 for all 3 books. But if you have that much slop, it may be beyond adjustment and you may need to replace as Fred says. Don't just slam it repeatedly to close - that just makes it worse. The tailgate as opposed to the door opening method will usually work better until you get it fixed.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I've bought a factory service manual on Ebay. It hasn't arrived yet.
Good for you. You are way ahead of the curve compared to most other owners.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I planned to join the forum and quietly search the archives. Sadly, that isn't going to happen. So I'll take one for the team and ask all the newbie questions.
You read that manual and you can post answers for oldies and newbies who don't have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.