Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1996 RMW, 1992 OCC
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower pin on my 96 RMW's tailgate is annoyingly worn. Went to rockauto to order a pin and bushing kit. What I received looks nothing like what's on my car. Seems at least 2x too long (I did receive what I ordered, I double checked).

Went through the GM B-body parts catalog, and the part number listed in there (20046147) concurs with what I originally ordered.

What's the right part number to resolve this?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't inspected it closely on my RMW, but in the past, every time a GM hinge pin has been worn, it was the bushings that needed replacing. I always just did the whole pin/bushing thing as a matter of course.

15 years ago, I found a fancy kit for the doors of my 98 GMC K2500 that included special bushings that retain lubrication better and claimed to last longer. They were shaped differently on the bearing surface. I still have that truck, and the door pins are in fact still in perfect condition. However the kit no longer seems to exist 😢

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Could we have a picture of the one that is worn? Is it the right or left?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the lower pin when I open the tailgate sideways. Whatever is wrong with is causing the door to move up and pop back down as I open it:

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I believe the lower hinge is 94-96 specific. If I can get time, there is a 94 wagon in the local junk yard. I may head there Monday. I have no idea what the price will be and how much effort I have to use to get it off. If you are interested let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts