Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help fellas. I have a 96 impala ss.

Had a loose bulb in the taillight that was flickering.

Upon trying to tighten it up with the car on I think I blew a fuse or something.

Now the taillamps don't turn on when I turn the headlights on.

They only work on turn signals or when I press the brakes. What blew?

Also when I felt like a blew something I saw the speedometer backlight flickered for a second.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Check the fuses (all of them) on the side of the dash beside the drivers door - Likely one of them blew, however this is only 1/2 of the solution. Fuses don't blow for no reason and until you find that reason, it'll happen again.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Bet there's a short in the taillight harness ,and/or damaged wiring...

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Start by removing the tail light housing and taking a look at it. Any loose wires, something cut, burned, etc?

Guessing that since the fuse blew when you were "tightening" the bulb, the issue is in that general area.

What fuse is blown?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Best way is to remove the rear bumper cover. Then unwrap/inspect harness paying special attention to all the splices ,especially the multiple grounds. I can practically guarantee some are only hanging on by a thread ,if at all...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Need some help fellas. I have a 96 impala ss.

Had a loose bulb in the taillight that was flickering.

Upon trying to tighten it up with the car on I think I blew a fuse or something.

Now the taillamps don't turn on when I turn the headlights on.

They only work on turn signals or when I press the brakes. What blew?

Also when I felt like a blew something I saw the speedometer backlight flickered for a second.
You blew the tail lamps fuse. It's a red 10amp,fuse #43 left side of dash. As you're looking at the fuse panel it's 3rd position down in far right row vertically.In this pic,it's the all red vertical row to the right,3rd position down(1st position is empty)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Like the others above said,FIRST clear the issue,remove the bulb and or base if bulb broken,then throw a new fuse in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You blew the tail lamps fuse. It's a red 10amp,fuse #43 left side of dash. As you're looking at the fuse panel it's 3rd position down in far right row vertically.In this pic,it's the all red vertical row to the right,3rd position down(1st position is empty)
It was fuse 43. THANK YOU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts