Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

To tint or not to tint

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the way the tail lights look but now that my windows are tinted they kind of stick out. Im on the fence of weather or not I should black them out. The reverse lamps and the other marker lights on the rear are blacked out and look very good but I don't know if adding the tails would be too much.

I just would like to see some opinions and or pictures before I make a decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do it. And hit it with a non yellowing (rustoleum, krylon) clear coat if your rattle canning them. i have used eBay vinyl head light tint in the past, looked good and easy to work with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah looking at them more I definatly have to do something with them they stand out too much. Smoke is a good idea but it seems hard to pull off without looking blotchy.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah looking at them more I definatly have to do something with them they stand out too much. Smoke is a good idea but it seems hard to pull off without looking blotchy.
Yeah, I know for me I'd have to have a professional do it because I know I'd screw it up unless going DARK LOL But lightly smoked would look super clean IMO

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean you dont have much choice with a rattle can lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you have experience with rattle cans it not hard at all just start away from tail light and just paint over really light but in fast fluid swings back and forth, its what I do when I tint headlights. Never had a slight complaint by anyone. They make smoked vinyl tint too!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm not bad with a rattle can all the other lights look really nice, I gave them a few coats of clear and wet sanded and polished them and they have that deep look. They just dont put out a hole lot of light lol. Ill try and practice the smoke look on something and see if i like it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do it. And hit it with a non yellowing (rustoleum, krylon) clear coat if your rattle canning them. i have used eBay vinyl head light tint in the past, looked good and easy to work with.

This might be your best bet, cheap, easy to use (especially on those small flat sections of your tails) and is reversible if you dont like it or get tired of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't tint. Here's why.

Tinted taillights and marker lights will irritate every cop that sees them, but the best reason not to do it is that someone is a lot more likely to rear end you. What's the benefit of making brake lights that nobody can see? If you drive in rain, fog, stop-and-go traffic, or bright daylight, you're just asking for someone to sue you after they smash into your car. After all, you're the one that deliberately made your lights sub-standard. The jury will love that.

Just my two cents, but I think tinted taillights rank up there with blue-tinted headlight bulbs. Tweaking styling to suit your tastes is fine, but why make something on your car work worse than it did originally?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tinted my tail lights on my Camaro and had no problems with them, the light output was barely affected honestly. If you do it right they work just fine. I just don't know if it will look good or not on a Fleetwood, I wish there were some pics somewhere but I haven't been able to find any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Taillights: to tint or not to tint?`

I don't think you should tint them. Others are right about attracting the cops. Just one more reason to be pulled over. Save the hassle, don't tint.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Mine are dark as night,and I have yet to be pulled over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I almost crashed into the back of a jeep the other day cause I couldn't see his dark tinted tails and blinkers in the rain at night...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't end up tinting them I prefer the way the stock ones look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts