Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, someone behind me was a bit impatient!

First estimate is just over 2 grand, including replacing the gate and roll pan... But I don't wanna replace the gate, I want it repaired!! It is totally rust free, and probably otherwise better than anything else they could find to replace it!!

The roll pan is also salvageable, if the want to add a coat of glass to it, but frankly I don't much care about that as long as they make it fit.

They aren't treating my beautiful Blue Whale as a fine, well maintained, and well loved "antique" as much as a near total loss! This attitude sucks BIG WIND!!! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
8,400 Posts
I almost got plowed on wednesday night from somebody who didn't think the roads were as slick as they were. I watched him in my rearview mirror coming so I pulled into the left lane (oncoming traffic but there were no cars coming at the time). He slid about halfway into where we would have been (had the whole family with me). Close call.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Try and fix that, your are going to end up with a "wack o poo" in there due to the inner panel and framing.
I , personally would find a southern used gate.
South Bay Auto Wreckers Chula Vista, CA 91911 (619) 421-5565
Lists one,

Many more if you search
http://www.car-part.com
Gerry

·
Registered
239 Posts
It hurts to see any B-body wagon get damaged, especially a super nice one like yours SScottT. I'm with 95wagon on his recommendation to find another gate in good shape. Good luck on getting it fixed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try and fix that, your are going to end up with a "wack o poo" in there due to the inner panel and framing.
I , personally would find a southern used gate.
South Bay Auto Wreckers Chula Vista, CA 91911 (619) 421-5565
Lists one,

Many more if you search
http://www.car-part.com
Gerry

Thanks for the info, Gerry. Hopefully it'll be rust free like mine. With a little extra luck, maybe it'll even be LAB!

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Damn Scott, that totally blows! Good luck in the repair.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I just bought a very nice, rust free gate and nice quarter panel stainless trim locally for $100. Just find a gate, have it painted and hang it yourself and pocket the rest of the money. This gate is even LAB but it has wood. For now.:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Me too!

I bought a rust free gate and a set of tailights cheap. Gotem stashed away and hop I never need them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, as some of you already know, its just enough damage to crease the "skin," but not be "restore-able." I get a lot of dirty looks for it too. Especially backing out of a space in a parking lot!

Fortunately, the gate still works, so I can still haul my gear. I just have to get over that its not going to be "original" anymore... Not sure why that bugs me so...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I almost got plowed on wednesday night from somebody who didn't think the roads were as slick as they were. I watched him in my rearview mirror coming so I pulled into the left lane (oncoming traffic but there were no cars coming at the time). He slid about halfway into where we would have been (had the whole family with me). Close call.
Lucky you had time, AND space to move out of the way!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... Adjuster claims he has a "good one" (tailgate) already. Hope so... Plus the rental is a Crown Vic... They haven't got any other cars our size!!

Hope they do a good job of "fixing!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts