Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Big or small, why not brag about some of the tools we buy? Who knows, maybe somebody will mention a tool somebody has had experience with and warn them that it is a lemon and should get their money back before it's too late!

Just bought today:

Two: Craftsman 3-Ton Service Jacks to replace the floor jacks that have been in my garage for probably 25-30 years now. (One of the old ones still work, but I don't trust it because it's so old and has failed to work at all a few times in colder weather)

One: 10.8v variable speed cordless Dremel Tool with 40 Piece Accessory Kit and lockable carry case. Everybody needs a Dremel! (It will come in handy with body work on the Catalina and Buick, as well as many other potential uses.)

One: Craftsman 5" Random Orbital Sander w/ Variable Speed and Dust Collection system. For sanding down my Catalina and Buick to prep them for paint jobs.

and to help with the paint job(s):

Future Purchase:

Air Compressor... no exact model yet, but the Air Compressor in my garage now is a 240v powered 20-24 Gallon* (not sure on the horsepower, but I think it's 3hp) unit. It's over 40 years old and has bad corrosion on the inside of the barrel, which has resulted in leaks. It's still useful for filling up tires, and limited use for air tools, but it's finished...

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
A few weeks ago, I bought a brand new pair of 42" bolt cutters at a fair out in the middle of bum**** nowhere. Only paid $10 for them...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Craftsman Goodys

Just bought a 1/2 inch 19.2 v Impact gun,19.2v lithium ion battery & charger and 19.2v craftsman buffer and the impact is awesome,very powerful!
My neighbor was replacing rusted out axles on his boat trailer and I wanted to try out the impact.I am very impressed with the power and low weight plus its got an LED light which helps these old eyes.On a few of the smaller rusted nuts the impact just broke the stud off because he is replacing everything anyway.
Will let everyone know about the buffer after I switch to a velcro
6inch pad for my lake country foam pads.I am going to use it on a cat scratched hood.
Take Care
Flasheroo

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Got this last year, came in handy for the heads/cam swap. Powerful little ****er!

·
Signature Section Moderator & CrossFire Club Ambas
15,703 Posts
I really expected to see a picture of Rockford in this thread....

But I guess he would be considered an old tool....

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
The service jack link appears wonky. It seems you're referring to Item# 00950244000 Mfr. Model# 50244. They look quite portable but I favor the bulkier old Lincoln/Walker style. I'm planning on having my 29 year old Lincoln rebuilt ($150 quote by NAPA) to go with my 12 year old NAPA.

In any case the aluminum floorjacks sure have a lot of negative comments.

Here's a pic of an invaluable tool I have, but it's not available for sale anywhere ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just bought a 1/2 inch 19.2 v Impact gun,19.2v lithium ion battery & charger and 19.2v craftsman buffer and the impact is awesome,very powerful!
My neighbor was replacing rusted out axles on his boat trailer and I wanted to try out the impact.I am very impressed with the power and low weight plus its got an LED light which helps these old eyes.On a few of the smaller rusted nuts the impact just broke the stud off because he is replacing everything anyway.
Will let everyone know about the buffer after I switch to a velcro
6inch pad for my lake country foam pads.I am going to use it on a cat scratched hood.
Take Care
Flasheroo

Bought the same impact, its awesome! Easily one of the best tools I ever bought. Sears has an impressive amount of attachments for the C3 battery system. The other useful one I bought was the C3 inflater tool. You set the target PSI, start it and let it do its thing. It shuts off automatically.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Did you get the floor jacks on sale? I got the same jack for $58 dollars using a coupon! :D (Buy it online w/ a coupon pickup in store)

Now I got the sears And another Ar-can low pro. :D

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
i bought a nut splitter tool

to get off some stuck lugnuts, was doing great til the ratching end snapped off, then i bought a grinder to finish the job

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
Snap-On Torque wrenches off of ebay. I had mine checked at a local calibration facility and they were less than 2% off across the range. Watch the auctions for a few weeks and pay attention to how the price fluctuates based on what day of the week it is.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The service jack link appears wonky. It seems you're referring to Item# 00950244000 Mfr. Model# 50244. They look quite portable but I favor the bulkier old Lincoln/Walker style. I'm planning on having my 29 year old Lincoln rebuilt ($150 quote by NAPA) to go with my 12 year old NAPA.

In any case the aluminum floorjacks sure have a lot of negative comments.
Yeah, I saw a few negative reviews about the Floor Jacks as I was looking up reviews about them. I haven't taken them out of the box yet so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them. I saw some people saying that the problem was lack of maintenance being done for the jacks that had broken down, but the old ones my grandfather had were probably something along the lines of 30 years old and we hardly did anything to maintain them...

Also to clarify, there's a difference between the Aluminum Floor Jacks and the ones I got. Mine are steel, but the issue with them definitely seems to be the hydraulic lift leaking profusely after what reviewers are claiming is "minimal" use.

I'm hoping that the case is purely the negative feedback effect where only people who are dissatisfied with the product are writing reviews on it, and the ones who are happy with it don't care enough to do so. Either time will tell, or I'll never give them the chance to prove the nay-sayers right.

Did you get the floor jacks on sale? I got the same jack for $58 dollars using a coupon! :D (Buy it online w/ a coupon pickup in store)

Now I got the sears And another Ar-can low pro. :D
Twenty Questions time!

How long have you had them?
Any problems?
What do you do for maintenance on them?

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Just got this from HF... less the $10 plus a few bux shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Just got this from HF... less the $10 plus a few bux shipping.

What, a C-clamp is not special enough for ya??? :)
I actually have a ballpeen hammer head that was machined with a thread down the center where the handle used to go. I inherited it from... actually I don't remember where I got it.. it's kinda neat though..

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
I actually have a ballpeen hammer head that was machined with a thread down the center where the handle used to go. I inherited it from... actually I don't remember where I got it.. it's kinda neat though..

lol yeah i know no other way then a C-clamp, that kit is foregin to me

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Actually, it's for the VW. The piston needs to be rotated and pushed in at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Oooh oooh Me ME!!

Got this a few months ago. Craigslist score. $350..

And..

Fleabay, new.. pretty happy with it.
Fowler digital bore gage.. time to upgrade from the old dial gage

And... Another CL score.

an Atlas 10" lathe I have not found a pic of yet.. $300. Very good shape, ways and gears are in excellent condition. Only used it a few time so far, but very happy with it.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
1 - 20 of 139 Posts