Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I will refer back one week to what Z09B4U asked of me. https://www.impalassforum.com/threads/battery-cable-diy.1317763/#post-12115358 To answer his question of my being Canadian, Nope but I worked with Canadian soldiers at the artillery school when I was an instructor in vehicle maint. And beer was my favorite fruit juice. Cheers Z0
I was finally able to install another end on a cable I'm going to use for a ground. It's #2 gauge welding cable and should work well for me. I used the Harbor Freight hydraulic wire crimper. I've been very pleased with the results. I wish I had found out about the solder slugs before I did the entire set up. Now for the results.
IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

After I do the crimp I use marine heat shrink to seal it up.
I'm using this type lug because I will go with a top post battery and use military style connectors. IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0314.JPG

I've thought for quite awhile we should have a section on tools here. Both store bought and some that we make. Does anyone else feel the same? I've made some posts in the past and one in particular seemed to generate a little interest.
For some unknown reason, to me, some of the pics double posted and I can't remove them.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
helpthe95 asked questions about what was needed to rebuild the diff. Here are some of the tools. I made the one obviously. A seal and race driver helps a bunch and I put in a picture of the axle bearing puller. Other tools you will need will be a press to install bearings and calipers to measure shims. Also add the tool to measure pinion depth, which I told you about in another of your posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
That crimper is a right smart tool. I debated whether to post here, or to the thread you linked on DIY. But this shows your pic of results = slick as snot!

Years back I found an old spare lug and used the "fill it with solder" method for a shortened cable on my boat that had the "wingnut removable style" battery posts. It worked fine even without any neat heat shrink. If I had ever needed to do more than one such terminal end operation so far in life then I'd sure pop for one of those.

Funny, I've about combed all the big home center stores dry on my home projects, so for everyone asking what I want for Christmas it's just
Gift Card To NT Or HF!

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob's Christmas list
Funny, I've about combed all the big home center stores dry on my home projects, so for everyone asking what I want for Christmas it's just
Gift Card To NT Or HF!

Where should we send them? I doubt "To whom it may concern" will work.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey FUB. Thanks for that. You certainly do a a bang up job on your projects. I'm sort of lucky. The underside of my car still has the paint on it. I just have to get under it with soap and water, hopefully. Thanks again. I hope we can keep this going.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here is an old favorite of mine: Spark plug wire puller pliers. Great for getting around exhaust manifolds and other obstructions. Also great for the newer "deep well" spark plug motors. You always want to grip the boot so you pull on the connector and not just pull on the wire which can damage it. I am sure it has saved me from being burned as well. I have no idea where to get one.
SPWplier1.JPG

SPWplier2.JPG

SPWplier3.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Modded vice grips for beading tubing
Gerry, those modded vice grips did that? I'm not sure if I would need something like that but I would like a little more on how it's done. It really peaks my interest. Thanks Bud

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Yes they did , I have a friend who has the beautiful bench mounted roller for this , but I ran into an instance where I had to bead a tube ( adding a Preheater ) that could not readily come out of the car.
This vice grip deal works well enough that I often will use it even if I could take the part to his shop.²

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well not that is just neato. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and you just wrote a book for me.
Thanks for all that.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Seal driver for Strange housing inner seals.
Being thin seals , they are a little tricky (Strange themselves buggered both in new a diff we just got.)
This fixture keeps alignment and sets depth.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here is an old favorite of mine: Spark plug wire puller pliers. Great for getting around exhaust manifolds and other obstructions. Also great for the newer "deep well" spark plug motors. You always want to grip the boot so you pull on the connector and not just pull on the wire which can damage it. I am sure it has saved me from being burned as well. I have no idea where to get one.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
I won't even admit to what I paid when they were the "new hot ticket" deal on the Mac truck about 25-30 years ago.

That said, mine are a little vicious in my opinion for grabbing silicon plug boots I care about.
OK if I can get under it though

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts