Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure what a real one costs but having a mill and a lathe , I did my own
Having machine tools around is great. Nice to be able to fab up that little part you need instead of spending an hour driving around trying to find it.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts
What would you do? After 9 years, my trusty Milwaukee M18 cordless drill transmission has decided it only wants to stay in low, and not shift to high. (I know, the irony of a transmission guy having transmission problems and asking the forum for advice)

Are the new brushless drills that much better? Worth getting? Or just suck it up and disassemble this one to figure out what's jammed?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Raise hands every male with at least one gonad who considers it a personal affront to even consider letting a lowly handheld power tool decide to quit operating perfectly without first dissecting it to confirm its not just some simple crud or loose / wore out contact that can be attended to both revalidate manly mechanical dominance, along with forcing another decade of drilling hard labor under your rule?

If it is something terminal at least it can be plundered for interesting useful shiny objects to add to the horde of 'maybe someday' supply. Then the rest to be unceremoniously cast into the trash as a brutal lesson to all the other tools considering much insurrection.

Or, blow the $200-300 and instantly sadden thinking all the other stuff you coulda' had instead.

Reactions: nickss96

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thank you for the well worded editorial 96 Black.

Check out Milwaukee's on line presence. They may have sub system parts to replace common wear parts. I know Makita has repair parts but like anything there is a trade off point where it costs too much or you might experience another break down. I think Milwaukee has Rep trucks that go to job sites so parts may be available.

After 9 years, my trusty Milwaukee M18 cordless drill transmission has decided it only wants to stay in low//Are the new brushless drills that much better? Worth getting?
If it has lasted 9 years and you liked what it did you may not need the best newest high torque product. If you do need new you might find a smaller lighter tool with the same torque and speed as the old one. Lighter weight tools=less fatigue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I laughed when the John Deere mechanic pulled out a 3/8" M18 brushless impact to remove some bolts on my grader. I was a true believer by the time he finished the job. I don't know how much better they are than the brushed, but that is what I am moving up to after my weak Bauer one dies. Of course, I would take it apart first.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Had a similar thing - my non fuel 1/2" M18 drill let some smoke out and there was a bright red glow in the vents after 1-2 seconds of running unloaded. Couldn't talk myself into buying a new drill alone for $200 and really didn't need the extra tools in one of the kits for $300. Found the parts list on Milwaukee's website and $21 later for a new armature and it runs like new again.

I've about 20 minutes in the whole thing (not including lusting for new tools :)).

121 - 127 of 127 Posts