Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Alternator mod?

Reactions: nsaness

Registered
I believe another version of the "alternator mod" is to pull the 2 case halves apart and rotate the rear one so the more recessed area is where the PS valve cover (aftermarket) would otherwise contact it.

I have replaced brushes in my original stock alt which involves separating the 2 case halves so its not a big deal at that point to rotate the rear case part. You would have to either eliminate the rear brace attachment or make another one to reach the new position of that point if the brace no longer fits. I have not done the rotation mod so don't know if the rear brace will still attach or if you would need to make one that does. Tube stock bent as needed with ends smashed together and drilled would work for a modified rear brace

Premium Member
I actually did that to mine, in addition to buzzing the offending parts off with the dremel. As far as the lost brace goes, I've been running mine like this for 4-5 years now without a belt squeal to be heard, or any complaining from the alternator itself

Registered
Yeah Dan I know many don't have the rear alt brace. Back when there were some threads of people cracking accessory case without one. Its the interweb so anything is on it

With that said GM would not spend $.02 on anything engineers felt was not needed so my $.02 is it has a purpose. They had 2 rear braces

I added a spacer so mine would work with headers..although I did not alter or clock my alt as I have stock VC. YMMV

My headers came with the longer rear bracket where the stock one was bolted to the #4 cyl exhaust stud

Premium Member
I had forgotten that Dan鈥檚 post is where I learned this combination of new valve covers and modified alternator would work together. It may have been done earlier still, but this is where I discovered it. Thanks for the original post Dan (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts