Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any headers or daul exhaust kits that are mabe for the tbi engine?
would stock lt1 exhaust manifilds fit the tbi engine?
i'm looking for economy

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Stock LT1 exhaust manifolds bolt up. You just have to drill two new holes per manifold. The very first, and very last bolt on each side, is in a different spot. The LT1 has the holes for both, on the heads, but the LO5(TBI's), only have the holes closest to the port, from what I understand. This is an LT1 head. The stock manifolds use the hole on the left, and cover the one on the right. to put them on the TBI, you drill a hole to use the hole on the right.

Any headers in the exhaust sticky, will fit the TBI, or LT1 engines. All of the headers out there, allow the use of the holes closer to the exhaust port. Some have both holes, like I think the BBK headers. The only issues, are hooking up to the AIR pump. But you can delete that setup.

For a catback, you can can use the pass side pipes, and muffler of the dynomax catback. It will bolt right to the single cat. Or you could use any of the catbacks, if you cut the drivers side trans cross member, and weld a plate on top. Then you just need heat sheilds, and hangers. LT1 manifolds, and Cat pipes can be made to work, and then an LT1 catback bolts right to it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
are we talking a 305 or 350,imo your not going to get any big econ improvements, it is what it is, the 9c1 have a larger set up 21/2 compared to a 21/4 be not sure if all tbi 350's have this, i just went with a cat back cause i wanted the dual exhaust look, also dont get rid of your stock cat converter.if u need to go thru emissions,those hi flow cat dont do a rat ass on a total stock mtr if so it so little u never will notice imo, im still dealing with getting mine thru the smog nazi's if i keep the stocker id be thru that no problem but thats ant story

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lt1 exhaust

what about using a whole lt1 exhaust? manifolds cats and all the pipes.
any problem with using these cats on on a 93?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i wouldnt know how to deal with 2 o2 sensors with a obd1 along with the air pump, then theres the double hump xmember which is different between the 700r4 and the newer 4l60e tranny

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Headers:
Dynomax 86001(coated) or the 85001(non-coated) kick ASS! But again they are not emissions headers.

Exhaust:
I used the Dynomax "Frankeinstein" 2.5" mandrel bend system, exit behind rear wheels and Flowmaster series 40 mufflers. I also went with a Summit H-pipe kit.

X-member:
Clear Image makes the best in my opinion. They run about $200.00 but are tubular, weigh alot less and is a simple bolt it. I just notched mine for the drivers side exhaust, but I'd love to some day get this cross-member.

02 sensor:
Go with a S-10 3-wire heated 02 sensor. Simple and works perfectly. The headers even have a spot on the extended flange to screw them right in!

Performace:
Everyone know the TBI 350 is no rocket ship. But these mods really kick ass! I also had TBI chips re-program my chip for even better perfomance.

·
Registered
446 Posts
are there any headers or daul exhaust kits that are mabe for the tbi engine?
would stock lt1 exhaust manifilds fit the tbi engine?
i'm looking for economy
I'm running 3" single exhaust
I bought Heddman "Hedders", I don't remember what part number they were.... Contact their customer service line.
I'm running the headers, a custom 3" y-pipe into a Magnaflow cat and a Magnaflow 3" turbo muffler.
It sounds real good, the car was noticably snappier from about 20mph and up.
My tail pipe emmisions did go up but I still pass.
I thought about the LT1 trans crossmember mod but if I remember, you will need to change the trans tailshaft on your 700R4. That itself is pretty simple, I just didn't feel like it at the time.
When I get the car back together I HAVE to record the exhaust and post it.......
Overall, unless the headers and exhaust are part of some big plan to really build a hot rod, I'd stay away from the headers, stick with manifolds and use a Walker 9C1 y-pipe, 2.5 inch exhaust, and a Dynomax or Summit Super turbo muffler. It will be simple and you'll like the sound!

My $.02.....:D

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Do you have the part number on that walker 9C1, 3" outlet Y pipe?

The dynomax 85001/86001 headers can be had for less, under thge summit brand name. Part numbers are g9001 and g9001-1. IIRC.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Do you have the part number on that walker 9C1, 3" outlet Y pipe?

The dynomax 85001/86001 headers can be had for less, under thge summit brand name. Part numbers are g9001 and g9001-1. IIRC.
My 3" pipe was built by my exhaust guy. But, the Walker pipe is 2 1/2 inch. I know the number was here before the crash......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: You should be able to find it on the net with Google

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Did your headmans look like these?

When I was searching headers last year, I found pairs of dynomax, summit, headman, and hooker headers all looked the same. I forget what the part numbers were on the hooker, and hedman headers.

I will have to do a little more searching for the 9C1 Y pipe. Edit: Is it 40315?

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, They're shorty's. They dump down and the flanges are near the belhousing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts