Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replace that water pump at 60k miles since we KNOW it may not be good for 80K.
Wow! I haven't heard of this before, now. My DCM just turned 78K, and I'm fairly certain it's still got the original pump - I've had the car since 51K.

What is the percentage of pump failures up to 80K?

I guess it might be time to look into an electric pump.

Anyone know offhand what the life expectancy is of the Meziere pump (hours)? And, is it a good thing on a daily driver?

TIA

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems to be a "luck of the draw" type thing. But at 78K, you're definitely pushing over "average" life expectancy on the pump...

Meziere : been covered ... a lot ;) ... in the Engine Performance section of the forum.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll throw my .02 cents in here.

IMO an electric water pump does not belong on a daily driven car.
Changing the pump at 80K is safe preventative maintenance. The key word being PREVENTATIVE.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my car at just under 50K and it had been dealer maintained to that point with no waterpump replacement in their records, around 96K or so it began to slightly weep so I replaced it with a $36 NAPA reman, at 110K it got bolted to the LT1 I swapped in, at 132K I cammed it, at 15X I did the gears which will have it spinning faster, at 160 I totalled the including losing the coolant so it sat basically dry over 7 months, now at 165k it weeps slightly not enough to even affect the PS yet. Had it not sat dry I am sure it would go past this 80K that is talked about as too long.

Our waterpump is different that previous designs and therefore MANY see is as inherently evil much like the opti even though FACT is they are better than the parts they replaced.

I am among those who feels an electric is a poor idea on a daily driver if from no other fact than the failure mods. The stock type usually weeps so it is a slow failure that will give you warning and get you home possibly for weeks of use yet before you have to replace it. The electrics go all at once and unless you have a spare you are stranded. If you went through the trouble of removing the WP drive then putting a basic replacement on would require major surgery so you are there waiting for one to be shipped too you. Can they offwer advantages in some circumstances absolutely, I just think as with may parts people msues them and jump on that bandwagon way too quickly.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electric pumps, just like the regular water pumps, are luck of the draw. I know a guy who has had an electric pump for years with no issues. It's probably because he carries a spare. If he had no spare it would crap out tomorrow.

UPSIDE:
At RAISSE Drag Day in 2003, I remember Freddy's Meziere crapped out as we were leaving in the pouring rain. Within 5 mins Nab and Karl and Stumpy and Freddy had it swapped out and were on their way.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by BIG KAHUNA ****e:
If he had no spare it would crap out tomorrow.
same for damn tires too,. gotta spare? no flats.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My pump must have been like Dwayne's ....it began to leak at 92,000 miles...

So I replaced the waterpump as well as the Optispark and plug wires while I had the whole front off the engine... ;)

Still driving my old Chev everyday...!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that too and thought.....hmmmmmm......I am at 104,000 on original water pump and opti....and I have been known to drive my car hard! :D

But then again, I also drive the gas tank untill the low fuel light comes on virtually EVERY time before I fill up!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts