Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well, the engine running issues have been fixed. Now on to the next problem. The temp gauge doesn't seem to work. It's gotten worse and worse, previously, just moving a bit off the cold peg, but now it doesn't seem to move at all.

I have replaced the temp sender, with the proper temp gauge sender in the passenger head. NO fix. I noticed that the wire from the sender had been repaired. I cut that repair out and re-repaired it (not the best repair, but as good as I can get with all the [email protected] in the way), and re-wrapped it with heat shield. No fix.

Now I'm wondering some things. Does the wire from the sender go directly to the gauge, or is there possibly something along the way that could be failing, too? The car has suffered, from time, to time, from fading instrument syndrome, but is currently working fine. Is that related? Do I need to at least reseat the plug in the back of the instrument panel? Might that fix it? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My 95 Did the same thing to me. My gauge ended up being bad. Got one from a member here and that took care of it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I seem to have the same issue as you, ditched my 3 way sender to return old style and it still read below cold most of the time.

mine peg very violently at startup, then drop at cold bottom and very slowly climbs, and when I turn the car off I get the correct reading.

I have a spare cluster I'll swap the gauges panels for alt and temp.

As for the wiring for this gauge, I tested the while wire from engine to cluster. its only one wire (dark green), but it connect also to the ignition switch (same small dark green), providing some kind of ground. cutting this link didnt affect the gauge at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your temp guage needle peg violently at startup? If so, its probably spinning on the shaft over time, which is causing your cold readings.
Nope. Gauge doesn't seem to move at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
As 96BRMW stated, its the gauge itself that is bad. You may be able to find one in a cluster in a yard, but as these clusters get older more and more of them are going to be going bad. It seems that the temp gauge is a weak point in the 94-96 Caprice/94-95 Impala SS cluster. Though not the easiest route to go a good upgrade is the Z28 cluster, though they are not directly Plug-N-Play it does give the analog speedometer and tachometer. - Peter

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, and excuse to update! :-D

I've been fighting the urge to modify this car too much, though. It's her DD, so the more dependable, the better. I'll try pulling the cluster and reseating the plugs, then perhaps a replacement of the gauge.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts