Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 caprice the temp gauge stopped working so i that it was the sensor on the water pump i changed it still nothing.now its not wanting to turn on it cranks twice before it turns on like it flooded or something.Need help

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Make sure you got the right sensor for the water pump.

The sensor for the gauge is on the DS of the engine behind the #1 cylinder plug.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Plus make sure the wire going to the sensor is not broken clipped or freyed in any way, common problem with the BBodys I had to fix all of them on all my BBody LT1's.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Make sure you got the right sensor for the water pump.

The sensor for the gauge is on the DS of the engine behind the #1 cylinder plug.
I just noticed lego beat me to it. The gauge sender is between #6 and #8 eh.

On my son's old Gen1 sbc stroker it's behind #1. ;)

And for the OP, the sensor on the WP signals temps to the ECM for timing and fans and such. It's a PM item as far as I'm concerned - I replaced it on my 160k Cady driver.

And I bolded what GM calls them as it helps me keep them straight. And for your last question, I don't think there's a connection between your current hardstart and the new sensor - unless of course it's defective. To be anally sure, you could swap in the old one that was probably still working. You'll need the head sender in any case. You'll want to check whether there's the 2" piece of 1" dia. coiled alum tube that covers the sender and some aluminum ducttape that wraps the wiring - it's apparently a hi-heat area. Word.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes its kind of a tight fit, the wire usually breaks off and then sometomes touches the frame grounding it out. Thats when you get the crazy jumping gauge on the cluster.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You'll have to fix the wire though, I bet its frayed and about to break.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts