Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my temp gauge on my cluster in my 96 SS flicks up and down very fast. Its very strange it reads the correct temp for a second, then flicks up and down at random. Almost every time my foot is on the brake it is pinned to hot and the hot temp lamp comes on, then immediately when i take my foot off the brake it goes back to normal then flicking like crazy. also it only does this in drive, if im at a stop light, and shift into neutral, the temp gauge reads normal, and will not flick. How can i test for a good or bad sensor/wiring ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Its sensor is in the passenger side head has a connector hooked to it along with a little metal tube for heat protection could check the wire from there back and make sure its not cut anywhere where it could ground out against frame or body or burned from header otherwise if wire is good you can check sensor itself with a multimeter on ohm setting via a chart on this page (gotta scroll up a bit but its there):

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Your symptoms point to a wire that is being moved my a combination of your shift lever train, and the brake pedal. I would look for a pinched/worn insulation wire in the vicinity of any moving part mentioned above.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help! I tested the sensor, it was good. i had 12v at the connector, but the problem continued. So i traced the wire and found that under the plastic conduit the wire harness that the ect sensor wire goes into (wire to the starter and some other engine sensor wires) was too close to the header and was burned through halfway. The bare copper wire was always contacting the header at idle in drive, but usually not at any other time, thats what was causing the interment problem. So i repaired the wire, and ziptied it away from the header.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts