Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, when you turn on your FW, and all the idiot lights on the dash illuminate in the test, does the TEMP light come on?

I've owned 4 Fleetwoods, and I've never seen the TEMP light. I can't imagine all the bulbs would be burned out, so where is it?

When I shut my car off the last few times, I can hear bubbling in the reservoir, like the coolant is boiling. IDK if there's some air trapped in the system (I'm going to try to purge air first), or maybe the cap is bad presenting a pressure problem (my second guess). Otherwise, it's not steaming, and the TEMP light never comes on. Any other ideas? Gonna hook it up to a scan tool and watch the engine temp too. (All this taking place tomorrow, of course!)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Most likely you have a bad cap or some other pressure leak in the system. The temp light is at the lower left corner of the speedometer area. It performs its bulb test when the key is in the start position (engine cranking), which is different than most of the idiot lights.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely you have a bad cap or some other pressure leak in the system. The temp light is at the lower left corner of the speedometer area. It performs its bulb test when the key is in the start position (engine cranking), which is different than most of the idiot lights.
That's what I'm figuring with the bubbling. I had that issue in another '94, I bled the system and changed the cap and it was all good, so I'll get on that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on the TEMP light. It's such a regular action that you just turn the key and go, so I'll have to be more conscious tomorrow when I start the car to make sure the temp light illuminates. I did run the codes this evening, and there was nothing to indicate that it overheated, so that's a good sign right there! :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come to think of it, I may have asked this same question like 7 or 8 years ago and just forgotten...LOL! ;)

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
And tha light glows dim or bright depending I guess on the depravity of the overheatedness. Something else I don't think is usual for an idiot light.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's interesting.

You know what would work even better?

A temp gauge. ;)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You know what would work even better?

A temp gauge. ;)
Yeah, and an oil pressure gauge, ammeter, tachometer....

These cars sure cater to the older crowd. A big, bright speedometer right in the center, and an enormous fuel guage, all done in the finest shade of day-glow green the '90's could give us. Guess it's better than the '80's, at least the speedometer goes past 85 MPH....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL...Truth!!! ;)

Well, I bled the system and there was no air. I pressure checked it, and it held. So I swapped the cap from my blue '94 over to the taupe '94, and no more boil. So it was the cap after all. :) Pretty much what I was hoping for, because it's a cheap and easy fix.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Yeah, and an oil pressure gauge, ammeter, tachometer....

These cars sure cater to the older crowd. A big, bright speedometer right in the center, and an enormous fuel guage, ....
My mom's first Roadie, may have been the very first year of production, had a tach. When she went to trade to another Roadie, or a Fleet, no tachs available. She's not big on it one way or the other, just another widget for her, but she asked "Where'd my tach go?" Dealer told her that in targeting the older crowd this was something people had wanted removed!

Her reply was the same as mine "Ever here of an options package?" Apparently not.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAHAHA!!!

My mom would be like "What's that thing? Oh, I don't need that." ;)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, Pep Boys employees...what can I say that I haven't already said?

I go and (after waiting for at least 5 minutes before the guy even attempted to help me...seriously) asked for a radiator cap. The guy looks it up and says there's no radiator cap listed. So I said overflow reservoir. He says there's nothing listed and sends me to aisle 14. That's the Help! aisle, so I come back and tell him it's not a standard cap like the ones in the Help! aisle, but a pressurized one, 15 psi, and I'm sure it's on the Stant selection behind him. He looks it up again, and pulls the cap off the wall. "I said this is it. Is this what's listed?" He points to the screen and says, "Yes, radiator cap."

Didn't he just say there's no radiator cap listed 30 seconds ago?!?!?!

Anyway, it works. I won't even get into the rest of this experience...Too long a story to type!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts